Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

is it usual for a school report to omit asd entirely

(6 Posts)
bigmouthstrikesagain Tue 07-Jul-15 14:33:31

DD in yr 4 and soon to go up to middle school (MS) she has her final report from her current school and it makes no reference to her diagnosis of HF ASD and co-ordination difficulties. It is therefore basically saying dd1 is crap at pe and group work, fails to engage with some lessons and incomplete work means she can only be given emerging level for maths. Which is accurate but completely missing out the fact that there is a reason she struggles with some areas and her effort this year with support has been great.

Dd1 has dealt brilliantly with her diagnosis that she only got in february so this report just sells her short. Is it policy not to mention a disability in a school report? I feel bad for her as her little sister got a glowing report and it was clear dd1 felt the difference in their reports. I feel rather angry about it. To add insult to injury the teacher uses another Childs name in part of the report.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 07-Jul-15 14:58:39

Hi big ... No idea how usual it is ... but dd's report also did not make any reference to he asd either. It also used another child's name in one part of the report and made references to dd attending an out of school dancing club.. she's never danced in her life. Dd was only dx in January.

sad

Ineedmorepatience Tue 07-Jul-15 15:28:07

Hmm, Dd3's was similar this yr, in the past at primary they have been bland and very positive but this yrs said that De3 needs to speak up more in class, contribute ideas to groups and ask for help!! These are some of the main problems that we have identified to the SEN team but it seems that the teachers either dont have a clear understanding of her difficulties or have forgotten!

Either was it doesnt really matter now, but it mattered enough for two expert panel members at tribunal to comment about it!!

sad

Ours don't either, but it is detailed in their IEP or whatever it's called now, which we get an updated version of alongside the report. To be honest the reports are worded so ambiguously they don't mean a great deal, when I was in the process of getting DS a statement I went through all his old reports (he's year 6) and found virtually nothing of relevance to his SNs.

bitbap18 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:43:39

Ours doesn't either but she doesn't struggle too much at school because of how it works for her. However, if she had struggled in any academic areas etc, then I would have expected it to be mentioned.

bigmouthstrikesagain Tue 07-Jul-15 16:50:32

Hmm so it seems to be a thing that happens. I am annoyed on dd1s behalf as she has been so positive though she struggles with the social and organisational aspects of school so her efforts should be celebrated. I am no doubt being over sensitive but I can't help being concerned as the demands of school are going to get much more intensive. I have completed the comment form to give to her teacher. We shall see how they feel about my ranty essay view.

The middle school is a bit more inclusive and responsive so I am just looking forward really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now