Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do CAMHS do in terms of ASD?

(4 Posts)
SophieJenkins Mon 06-Jul-15 17:08:08

I've just been told my son's referral has been passed on to our local CAMHS service as he is 8.

I don't know anything about this service and I'm not sure what they do.

I thought someone mentioned they mostly prescribe drugs? As in psychiatry sort of thing. Also found something on the web about it being for mental health problems but I'm not sure if AS is a mental health problem, I haven't ever thought of it as one.

I might have totally misremembered this so please forgive me if so!

Can anyone tell me what the process is likely to be?

Thanks.

PolterGoose Mon 06-Jul-15 17:21:34

In some areas CAMHS are responsible for autism assessments, processes vary hugely, but if you look up the NICE guidelines you'll see how it should be done!

SophieJenkins Mon 06-Jul-15 18:13:25

Polter - thank you - very very kind and helpful info.

I will go and look it up.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 06-Jul-15 19:34:09

Dd3 was diagnosed by CAMHS it is the most common pathway for children over 5 in my authority!

Some of her assessments had already been requested by the paed before referral to CAMHS, there are 3 tiers in our service the first is like triage, then a MH practioner gathers information and then if they think a diagnosis might be forthcoming they put it forward to the psychiatrist who then decides if further assessment is required.

The whole process from being seen at CAMHS initially took almost a year for us!

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now