Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can I explain to teachers that ds cannot make up stories etc?

(10 Posts)
SophieJenkins Sun 05-Jul-15 21:16:55

Ds is just 8 and has been referred for assessment due to my suspicions he has an ASD.
We haven;t heard anything yet from the assessment unit, and school hasn't flagged any concerns but he has only been there a term and they are fine with backing up my wanting to get him assessed.

We have a little bit of a problem in that he is very bright, very able in an academci sense, well mostly - his writing is great, his reading is streets ahead and he has grasped his times tables within the term so he is far ahead of the other children (or so he says!)

But creative writing is really upsetting him. Even writing four short sentences for his spelling homework, to put the words into context, is making him cry.

He can't make stuff up! I only realised tonight, because I have this difficulty as well - improvisation in drama lessons, writing stories for English, (after the age of about 6) I just could not do from extreme self consciousness and fear of getting it wrong. Same with dancing, playing creative imaginary games - ds just does not do it.

He's worse than I was actually, I think. But how can I get this across to his teachers without making it sound like he is just lazy? He honestly isn't lazy at all. He just can't make his brain make something up that didn't actually happen. sad

Thanks for any suggestions.

PolterGoose Sun 05-Jul-15 22:32:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Sun 05-Jul-15 22:33:36

SophieJenkins Mon 06-Jul-15 07:04:02

Thank you very much Polter, those sound like great ideas. I'll tell him to try and remember something that did happen rather than make something up.

It's like everything has to be very, very accurate, he can't let himself deviate from the facts at all. When he tells me a film plot (frequently!) it is the most long winded, obsessive description you have ever heard, correcting himself constantly etc - it is exhausting to hear let alone be the one trying to tell it.

I will try and explain about metaphors and so on, too. Also I think I will mention it to the teacher and hope she is sympathetic, he works himself up to be quite upset when he feels he can't do what they want him to. They were meant to invent a superhero the other week and he just couldn't.

PolterGoose Mon 06-Jul-15 08:08:16

SophieJenkins Mon 06-Jul-15 10:58:01

Thanks, they look really good!

I've written a note in his contact book so they can be more aware.

I wonder as an aside if it is worth ringing the assessment people to make sure they got our GP's letter? Probably been a month but I realise that's not long in this system.

PolterGoose Mon 06-Jul-15 13:51:45

PolterGoose Mon 06-Jul-15 13:52:07

SophieJenkins Mon 06-Jul-15 16:45:25

Oh brilliant idea - thank you - I just rang them though and they said because he is over 7, they have had to forward it to CAMHS.

I'm not sure if this is right. Hope so. I will let CAMHS know we are up for a cancellation if they get in touch.

SophieJenkins Mon 06-Jul-15 17:05:37

(will start another thread I think)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now