Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to introduce baby to an autistic child?

(5 Posts)
squaredcircle Sun 05-Jul-15 17:14:09

Hi, our son is due in 2 weeks and his cousin is autistic. We don't know how to introduce him incase he cries or becomes smelly (grin). Our niece isn't very good with noise and different smells in general so a newborn might set her off. Should we even let her hold him or leave it for a while?

raffle Sun 05-Jul-15 17:35:14

When we has DS2 we worried about how DS1 who has ASD would be with him. We needn't have worried, he was completely indifferent towards the baby. He only really began to take an interest when baby began crawling grin

Frusso Sun 05-Jul-15 19:51:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sun 05-Jul-15 22:42:07

I can't imagine why you wouldn't let her touch/hold your baby confused Just supervise like you would any other child.

What are you concerned about? violence? crying?

Most children are interested VERY briefly in babies and then get on with their day. Y0u may be very excited but frankly in their worlds babies are about as remarkable as other peoples parents.

sammythemummy Mon 06-Jul-15 09:43:06

My dd loved her sister from the moment she came home from the hospital, her exact words were "I love her".

And I agree with everything zzzz said

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now