Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

New to SNs really not sure...

(8 Posts)
MilkshakeMonkey Fri 03-Jul-15 21:22:52

Ok sort of new..
DS (5) has had 'explosive' behaviour from about 18mo. Initially I thought it was being a toddler. Then he got to 2 .5 and his sister came along, so put things down to that. Then there was some improvement as he reached 4, up and down abit until 5 then nose dived again.
In March (5.3 yrs at this stage) The school advised we saw gp and got SENCO involved. During a horrendous Easter hols I went to gp out of desperation for not only my DS but my family. SENCO then also arranged CAF and school nurse involvement.

Now... We seem to be on a better run again (although still has violent outbursts not as regular). We also now have all the help kicking in. School nurse has organised us a unisafe course for next week, I have TAC meeting
Monday, CAF was done last week, community paediatric appt in 2 weeks and SALT appointment coming up (awaiting date)
It feels abit overwhelming all of a sudden.
But my worry (I think it's a worry) is that we are going through a good spell, so is there any point going through it all?
Am I wasting people's time?
Is this just normal to have a 5yo who can get really angry/violent/explosive?
Surely if he was on the spectrum it would constant, not in waves of good/bad times?

Sorry if none of this makes sense, I'm feeling confused/overwhelmed by it all

Ineedmorepatience Fri 03-Jul-15 22:13:17

Hi milkshake and welcome to the board.

Dont discount Asd just because his behaviour is inconsistent! Often stress levels vary and this can change behaviour patterns!

If you are worried it is always worth asking for an assessment, dont worry about "labels" if a child is behaving in an unpredictable way they will get "labelled" as naughty or spoilt!

If your Ds has Asd it would be better for him if he had a diagnosis then he would hopefully get some support at school and you could work on some strategies at home.

Good luck flowers

MilkshakeMonkey Sat 04-Jul-15 07:40:09

Thanks Ineedmorespace

I assumed they would just put it down as a phase, but you feel this 'up and down' behaviour can be normal with asd?

Also, I forgot to ask if there's anything the more experienced of you feel I need to ask at TAC?

PolterGoose Sat 04-Jul-15 08:32:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MilkshakeMonkey Sat 04-Jul-15 19:21:47

I think as it's taken this long to get here, I need to see it through.

Reading other threads on SN I see lots of you have had battles, is this the norm? I'm not sure how the whole thing is going to go, 3 'professionals' have asked me so far if i feel he's on the spectrum. I have responded with I don't know, but something's not right.

Frusso Sun 05-Jul-15 20:06:15

I think I responded in the same way when it was suggested to me, despite the fact that i'd considered it. And a lot of the time was internally begging that they saw it too.

Dds behaviour goes up and down too. She's down at the moment (huge changes with schools etc). But when she's up I question her diagnosis, but when she's down, it's obvious.
With dd it is up and down sometimes it will change on a daily basis, and sometimes it will be on a longer cycle. And sometimes it is entirely down to where she is, I find if she's good at school she's bad at home, and vise versa.

MilkshakeMonkey Mon 06-Jul-15 15:48:47

Had TAC this afternoon. Just seemed to be a paperwork exercise, didn't feel it progressed things at all. Although interesting to hear teacher saying things that I find too (although I didn't know it was worth noting IYSWIM)

Have CAF doing home assessment in summer hols and TAC again inSeptember.

I guess I will get more from peads appt?

Ineedmorepatience Mon 06-Jul-15 16:32:43

Its all part of moving things forward for you and your Ds milkshake take one step at a time and one day at a time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now