Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

His safe food list is reducing

(3 Posts)
frankiebuns Thu 02-Jul-15 18:47:59

My ds 4 is being assessed for Asd and tbh if they say he isn't I'm a monkey uncles but any way he has a list of foods that he will consider eating ie ambrosia custard and not own brand pringles oddities whole ones not ones with holes in Richmond sausages and Mcdonald chips this was 3 months go now his safe list consists now of oddities custards and milk he's gone off everything and freaks at the sight of it help he hardly at as it is but now it's little, he will reluctantly eat porridge fr breakfast and custard and biscuit for lunch well corner of and same for tea he won't touch it if it's different and can and will go days on milk and water if I go normal on him help arghhhh

Ineedmorepatience Thu 02-Jul-15 21:49:42

Google ARFID, this kind of restrictive eating has a name! You might be able to access some support!

Arm yourself with knowledge and good luck flowers

Huckcat Sat 04-Jul-15 12:12:41

My son (aged 5 and with ASC) is seen at St Thomas hospital for his eating. He literally ate nothing until he was 2 - surviving on milk. He still only eats about 10 things. I know it's really hard not to worry but it's amazing how little food our kids can exist on.
At the hospital they told me about a girl they're treating who only eats two strawberry yogurts a day. And she's fine!

A few things they've told me over the years that might help you - apologies if you know all this already.

Don't make meal times a battle/ withdraw the few things they do eat. In a battle of wills, our kids are always going to win! They treated one child who only ate porridge. The parents thought by not giving the porridge it would force the kid to eat something else. After 5 days of the kid eating nothing, they gave up.

Put a small amount of whatever you're eating on a plate in front of them everyday but don't make it an issue if they're not interested. If your son won't sit at the table (mine won't), just leave it out for him.
I have to feed my son in front of the TV to get him to eat - think the distraction helps. If it was up to him, I don't think he'd eat at all as he never says he's hungry.

I bought a divided plate for my DS as he has an issue about foods touching. That has helped a bit.

The hospital gave me a social story to read with my DS. Google 'social story eating'. We started really slowly by getting him to smell food, then touch it before trying to get him to eat. My son is hyper sensitive to smells and textures and these issues are really common for people on the spectrum.

My son's eating has got better as he's gotten older. At the clinic they say that some kids improve around 5. They don't really know why.

If you get a diagnosis of Autism, you may get some specific support around eating. As I said, I know how hard it is not to worry but hopefully things will improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now