Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Filling in developmental history form for autism assessment

(5 Posts)
MrsBrollyhook Mon 29-Jun-15 23:28:56

Finally getting somewhere with an autism assessment with DD aged 10. Filling in the developmental history form to submit ready for our paediatrician appointment. Any advice on key info to OK include. We're 100% she's on the spectrum but just want to get the right info across. Eg what are they getting at asking about gestures! Makes slightly depressing reading looking back at her problems, particularly when the schools form states that they noticed differences from reception sad

LeChien Mon 29-Jun-15 23:36:55

Have you ever seen the M-CHAT R (or something like that). It's a screening tool for toddlers, we found it useful for jogging our memories when we were filling in forms for ds2.

MrsBrollyhook Mon 29-Jun-15 23:42:36

Thanks LeChien. Just found it and will read through now.

youarekiddingme Tue 30-Jun-15 06:51:31

Gestures relates to their movements and speech. For example - my DS often sways or pits hands behind hims back when talking and doesn't gesture to back up what he's saying. If he uses his arms they aren't related to his speech.

I've recently been through this is my ds. I thought about it terms of evidence. So when it asked about his playing I thought about what it was about his play that made me realise he wasn't nt. I then translated that to statements about how he plays with some evidence.
Eg- DS likes Lego. He sets scenes up with his toys and is very inflexible about how the play moves forward and will not allow anyone to move and object. He sets up realistic scenes rather than using the Lego as a representative toy. Then a few examples of situations with peers and myself.

MrsBrollyhook Tue 30-Jun-15 22:38:15

Thanks that's great advice. I've made a list of all the examples I want to include, so will try to fit everything onto the form - I think it's a good job I have small writing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now