Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

12 year old just been told may have ADHD

(5 Posts)
jennyt19 Fri 26-Jun-15 21:21:32

I just wondered whether anyone can help me. We've just been told that my son may have ADHD by the school Senco officer. He's a bright boy and attends a very good school but he sticks out like a sore thumb because he just can't settle in the class. When set a task his teachers often report that he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. He chats a lot with the other kids in the class when he's supposed to be working and he rarely completes the tasks he's been set. His books are full of incomplete pieces of work.

On Tuesday we were told that he was being excluded because he'd been caught stealing from the school canteen. When we quizzed them about this it turns out that my son was putting things in his pocket when he didn't have enough hands to carry them and on the odd occasion he forgot to pay for these items. I'm now really worried as the letter states that if he were to re-offend it would put his place at the school in jeopardy.

I'm reluctant to give him drugs to help with his concentration although a friend at work says that her niece takes these drugs and she's fine but he's so young and I don't want to pump him full of drugs.

My niece is studying psychology and she says that she things cognitive behavioural therapy will help him and I'm wondering about hypnotherapy. I'll do anything. Can anyone help or offer advice?

Many thanks for reading my post


PolterGoose Sat 27-Jun-15 08:18:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youarekiddingme Sat 27-Jun-15 21:13:26

I agree about needing a proper referral.

But also if the school think he has Sen push for support to be put in place. They shouldn't be able to exclude if they suspect Sen and aren't supporting him. Look up la exclusion policy.

Pomegranatemolasses Sat 27-Jun-15 21:22:17

Yes the first step is to get a referral for diagnosis. While I doubt any parent wants to 'pump their child full of drugs', medication is commonly used to very good effect in treating ADHD.

If your child does get a diagnosis, treatment options will be discussed with you. There is a lot of information on line also, so you can read up on treating with medication. There are good and valid reasons why many parents make this choice.

TwoLeftSocks Sat 04-Jul-15 20:09:46

I would also suggest getting a referral for assessment, and let the school know that you've done so. It's likely that assessments will include your DS's school setting too.

If they have suggested it to you as a possibility, then they should be open to suggestions directly related to his attention, such as 'ask the dinner staff to check he hasn't forgotten anything due to his hands being full'.

There are lots of strategies you and school can try, and a diagnosis would definitely point you in the right direction for those.

If you can, be open minded about medication. It's not for everyone but it can make quite a big difference for some children and is closely monitored for side effects. Worth asking about and reading up on.

There are also a few good websites that might help in the meantime, the one I find most useful is Additude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now