Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

We've got a diagnosis - now what?

(6 Posts)
LeChien Fri 26-Jun-15 12:57:15

Ds got a dx yesterday of PDA (or atypical high functioning autism with demand avoidance).
I've spent so long having to justify why we feel there's something wrong, and now we're here, I now the outcome we need, but I don't know how to get there!

What reasonable adjustments can we expect in school (he's year 5 at the moment, will go up to secondary next year).
I've read in many places how hard it is to get anywhere, even with a diagnosis, but if anyone has any tips on how to go forward now for ds, that would be brilliant!
Our main priority I think is protecting his mental health.
Sorry, very tired and a bit incoherent at the moment, so this probably doesn't make much sense blush

PolterGoose Fri 26-Jun-15 13:47:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeChien Fri 26-Jun-15 14:04:35

The report should arrive in the next two weeks.
I don't know if it'll have any recommendations tbh.
I have no idea if we'll have access to local services, I'm not sure how I would find out, would it be gp or back to the autism team at the CDC?

School at the moment is going well, the teacher is naturally very good at giving choices, so ds feels in control most of the time. There is an issue with another teacher telling children off, and ds is scared of her, which makes him angry (not the the shows it in school!). I was planning on taking the PDA booklet for clinicians into school and print out a teacher's mind map from the PDA resource website.
I'll go and have a look back.
Thank you.

PolterGoose Fri 26-Jun-15 14:20:37

PolterGoose Fri 26-Jun-15 14:25:12

LeChien Fri 26-Jun-15 14:47:12

I've had a google, and the only thing that comes up is a local NAS page with links that don't work!
I'll email the paed, I hadn't thought about that.
That leaflet looks very useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now