Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

VAT relief on products for those registered disabled......

(6 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Tue 23-Jun-15 10:01:37

Thought I'd mention this even though I'm not sure about it yet! I'm busy buying some Kinesio Tape for ds from amazon for his hypermobility. He was given it by OT because of his hands hurting when writing at school - it's had good results, I'm amazed! Anyway, there's a note at the end of the write up from amazon which says Did you know? Amazon can issue VAT refunds on eligible sales to customers who are registered disabled or chronically ill. I've had a quick look on HMRC website and I think we should be able to claim the VAT back on some products but I'm not entirely sure.

Just thought is was worth a mention in case someone who is more knowledgeable than thick old me can shed any further light. wink

bedelia Tue 23-Jun-15 10:27:48

Yes, it is possible though with the way Amazon works it seems a little tricky.

You'd need to send a filled copy of this form to Amazon, either by regular post or as a PDF by email details here.

The eligible products need to be specific aids or adaptations for use by a person with a disability, as you've probably read on the Gov site.

It does seem much easier to get a VAT refund (or pay the cost without VAT) on independent sites as many of them provide the form/declaration alongside your order or allow you to "pre-register" for eligible goods.

I'd love to know more if anyone has experience of VAT refunds with Amazon though as I haven't tried it myself!

PolterGoose Tue 23-Jun-15 10:53:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 23-Jun-15 20:17:12

I didn't even know you could claim VAT back. I hope others read this and can also benefit. I'll let you know how it goes.

blankblink Wed 24-Jun-15 12:22:08

Thanks for the amazon VAT info frazzled I also buy from sites where there's a declaration form to fill in before purchase and often wonder who among the not disabled population would be buying the products anyway

I'm very interestterd in the kinesiology tape if it's had an effect for you. Lidl had some a short while back, they tend to repeat things so keep an eye out if they've got a sports promo on. I didn't buy any but now I'm intrigued.

What sort of tape is good for hands and more importantly, where exactly do you put it?

frazzledbutcalm Wed 24-Jun-15 20:55:16

There are other tapes out there but personally I'd be wary of other makes. Sports athletes use Kinesio. We got ours for ds from his OT. His hands hurt after 1.5 minutes of writing shock With the tape his hands still get sore but nowhere near as much. He loves it. The OT showed us how and where to put it. I'll take a photo on Friday (he has sports day tomorrow so doesn't need it) and see if I can upload it. We bought it from amazon, it was £13 a roll, the roll will last months I think. Check out www.kinesiotaping.co.uk - it might show how to put it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now