Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any thoughts on what to do?

(18 Posts)
Myst97 Tue 23-Jun-15 08:39:59

Ok, here's the story. DD is 5.5 yrs old and started reception in September. An NHS consultant paediatrician gave a dx last June of joint hypermobility and a variety of sensory processing issues. As a result an NHS OT has been involved with the school giving advice 're the hypermobility and a private one has given the school a sensory diet 're the sensory issues. Both now agree that she also has dsypraxia and have said they would be surprised if she was also dyslexic. Tbh it wouldn't surprise me either as her father was badly. She has made pretty much no progress on reading and writing all year (can just about write her name and is on the same book as the start).

The (outstanding) school maintains that she is 'fine' and aren't giving any support. Both OT says they feel they are being 'humored' and their advice given lip service at best. Both have requested a meeting with the SENCO (at her convenience) three times this year. All three times she has not turned up (sent the class teacher instead). When asked by both OT what she thought they could do help dd reach her potential, her response was 'nothing , she's fine'.

Both OT have decided to have a meeting next week with the head. They are only asking for 10 1-2-1 on the visual perception /motor side and 5 minutes sensory diet a day as anymore is unrealistic as 'doesn't have a statement'. Her difficulties are such that the consultant paediatrician said she was unlikely to get a statement but could still do with OT input.

So in short I have been wondering what to do, she is happy there, is only 5, the school is outstanding and is literally five mins walk, however I can't escape the feeling she might be better off somewhere where they supported her???

I have done some research and if we did move her, was thinking of Mayville high school (pre prep dept) Southsea, Portsmouth with their unit. Any thoughts?

Tissie Mon 29-Jun-15 17:30:11

I loathe the way some schools insist all is fine and have a she will grow out of it approach. To ignore the professionals is even worse. This school is not outstanding for your child. As a parent and special needs teacher what you say rings bells with me and if she hasn't started to learn to read that is a concern. She may not be able to learn using just the one phonic method. Dyspraxia makes it hard and sensory issues may be preventing her from learning in the classroom.
I suspect "she is fine" is code for she is no trouble. Move her but before you do make sure the new school will properly support her. Good luck.

zzzzz Mon 29-Jun-15 18:02:05

I would go I and see the HT and explain as you have above. Tell him/her you think the sensible option is to move her and then LISTEN very carefully I the response.

bitbap18 Mon 29-Jun-15 18:02:22

I'd arrange a meeting with yourself and the two OTs plus the head of the school. If no joy from that, I would do a complaint to the LEA and set out exactly what the OT need to see for your daughter to thrive, as she should be.

My daughter is also classed as 'fine' which apart from social issues, she is at school, because she does what's she's told as a typical aspie! But the moment any of it effects her education, I will be seeking to change that. Even though there's no particular issues we have a CIR plan in place for September and certain things set up with school.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 29-Jun-15 20:58:11

The word fine is over used in schools, especially in my experience "outstanding" ones!!

Myst97 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:11:49

The meeting with the head and the OTs was today. Fifteen minutes before the appt was to start (after I had dropped off my toddler with a neighbour) I got a phone call saying that they were running half hr late. So I phoned the OT to warn them and it seems they were told on Friday... The head said "well it would help if she weren't so stubborn. Most children would do anything for Miss X." Later she said that "the greatest barrier to her learning was her not being in the right mood to learn". I'll grant you dd can be stubborn incarnate but I wasn't sure that was the most helpful attitude to take? She maintained dd was achieving a good rate of progress despite still being on pink band for reading etc but at the urging of the OT agreed to 20 minutes visual motor work with a TA before school for the first six weeks of the autumn term then another six weeks at the start of the spring term if needed. Should I be pleased that we got what the OT's wanted or worried about the above comments and opinion therein?

Myst97 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:13:43

20 minutes a day that is.

bitbap18 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:26:05

I'd be seriously unhappy with this outcome. I'd have to raise it higher, but that's me.

zzzzz Mon 29-Jun-15 22:27:57

try it and see

Runningtokeepstill Mon 29-Jun-15 22:37:42

I'd be worried about the comments. It sounds like a "it's not us, it's the child's fault" type of response. There is also a chance that a school like this will agree to doing something at a meeting with other professionals (like the 20 minutes a day with the TA) but not implement it in practice. Having looked at others posts on here it's depressingly common.

I persevered with an unsympathetic secondary school for 2 and a half years, but the difference after getting my ds into a school that took notice of the medical evidence and was child-centred was staggering. The first school tried to fit ds into the "box" they felt he should be in even though it was clearly unworkable. When he didn't fit it was either his fault or I was being unreasonably demanding in expecting them to accommodate him. The second school looked at DS and what he needed, listened to me too and worked with us to provide him with an education. Surely that's what schools should be about, but it's getting harder to find. I'd keep a close eye on your dd's school and be prepared to move her in future if she doesn't get the support she needs.

Myst97 Thu 17-Dec-15 20:39:54

Just in case anyone is interested in an update, we bit the bullet and moved her to Mayville for the start of the Autumn term. In hindsight it was indeed the right thing to do. She no longer meltdowns after school and no longer strips off the second she's in the door. She made more academic progress in the first half term than she had all year last year. She's made a friend and actually had a successful play date! She will even sometimes tell me about her day. Though obviously often very tired she is now usually positive at home time and has even complained about not been able to stay longer!

PolterGoose Thu 17-Dec-15 21:06:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bbkl Fri 18-Dec-15 12:06:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Fri 18-Dec-15 12:17:23

Wonderful smile. Well done ALL of you.

PeppasNanna Sat 19-Dec-15 00:56:49

Brilliant outcome!flowers

Runningtokeepstill Sat 19-Dec-15 08:08:44

Great result.

mummytime Sat 19-Dec-15 08:22:57

I am so pleased for you - long may it continue.

ovenchips Sat 19-Dec-15 08:27:53

What a brilliant update!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now