Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I know I shouldn't but can anyone help interpret dd ados while I wait

(8 Posts)
greener2 Mon 22-Jun-15 13:35:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2boysnamedR Mon 22-Jun-15 18:53:49

Not had a Ados, think we did dvm? But ds was on true form

Dr - can he point? Me - no never has. ( ds later in points to a clock as it's going on too long!)

Dr - does he use non verbal gestures? Me - rarely, he's normally flappy ( he later started rolling his eyes while slumping over and making snoring sounds!)

He also almost finished a rubixs cube! Like the guy in little Briton who climbs out of wheelchair when his carer turns away. I was thinking " but you CANT do these things!!" Maybe my son son is really a genius on a very clever wind up grin

Tissie Mon 22-Jun-15 19:55:00

They first test is to do with spatial abilities and pattern design. As your DS asked for more blocks before starting the EP wanted to know what he had in mind i.e. was he wanting more colours in order to make a design using colour patterns. These tests are not pass/fail tests but more about finding a pattern of strengths and weaknesses.
The next task assesses imagination and ability to tell a story. Language and empathy and eye contact will be assessed. In this case it is significant that DR used the toys in a realistic rather than imaginative way and counted them at the end.
The EP uses an ordinary daily event to get DR to act it out but DR quickly reverts to just telling what he is doing. Again this is indicative of a lack of imaginative play.
Using a picture as a stimulus is more of the same and here DR was able to tell a story of somethng that happened to him. Simiarly with the story.
Asking and talking about feelings is a way of assessing empathy and understanding of emotions. Similarly the questions about school are designed to elicit how she reates to tohers and it does seem that that apart from objects on chairs in specific positions DR does not relate to her classmates.

I assume this is an assessment for ASD and superficially it woud appear that your daughter meets the criteria but it is always wise to wait for the expert diagnosis and not take anything I've said here as more than a general understanding of the test.
I wish you well.

Pootrouble Mon 22-Jun-15 20:26:40

How old is your dd? My dd is almost six and due to have ados soon

bbkl Mon 22-Jun-15 21:20:19

PolterGoose Mon 22-Jun-15 21:33:02

greener2 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:25:31

zen1 Tue 23-Jun-15 00:08:04

DS had the ADOS 3 years ago when he was three. I remember him 'scoring' on the wash basin/ toothbrush task because the person assessing pointed to an area of the table and said, "Look DS, here is a wash basin, shall we turn the tap on and wash our hands?" He looked at her like she was crazy and said it was a table. He also scored on the make up a story task because he wouldn't comply when the Dr was trying to lead the scenario and just did his own thing with the vehicles.

As others have said though, the final diagnosis did not just depend on the outcome of the ADOS but on observations, questionnaires and interviews with us and professionals involved with him at the time. The wait is hard (we had to wait 2 months before the follow up meeting, which I think was too long).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now