Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can i now get a Caf?

(5 Posts)
shazzarooney99 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:30:55

Ok i know ive been a pain in the butt today, however its nit to let off somewhere and actually have people reply! lol

Sons nearly 8 when he was in nursery they asked me to sign a Caf anyway i went home and googled it and something about socail services come up and i thought theres no way im signing that they will come and take my child away.

Anway fast forward 5 years, hes still under speech and laungage and the peadatician and we are going to see cahms, have saw a private ot whos said he has sensory issues. Now theres been a huge lack of communication between the pead and school.

I suspect he has hfa and sensory pead said when she got info off school shed diagnose him with hfa and sensory, however she got nothing off chool and has now said autistic traits and sensory.

Anway i spoke to his teacher not so long back and she said to me she suspects hes on the spectrum and came out with quite a few things, and although his behaviour is good at school she has noticed lots that he has in common with other asd children.

Anyway ive spoken to this friend who suggests it would be bet for me to go for a Caf,will school do one now? especially as they dont have behaviour problems with him like we do at home? hes still on an iep.

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 21-Jun-15 21:37:01

DS1's school started the CAF process for him about three months ago. There has been no involvement from social services. It has been a positive move: it makes CAMHS answerable to someone other than themselves and he has been getting more help & support at school.

To start with, I had a meeting to fill in the longest form ever, with sections for each member of the family. Then they sent me a draft of the completed form and I was able to make changes before it was submitted.

Then we had the first TAF meeting, which I was really nervous about but it turned out to be fine. There were about half a dozen people there and everyone wanted the best for DS1.

shazzarooney99 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:43:32

Thank i think i am going to go for one, thanks for the info. xx

fairgame Sun 21-Jun-15 22:21:52

Ds had a caf a few years back so I could apply for respite. I've never had social services show an interest so don't worry about that at all. If you ask for one they have to do one they can't refuse. That's the rules where I live anyway and im sure it will be similar elsewhere.

shazzarooney99 Sun 21-Jun-15 22:31:33

Ok thank you fairgame thats good too know, for the moments his behaviour does not show in school,other things do though, like lack of eye contact,expresionless face, or when worried an anxious face, following the school rules to a tee and same with visual timetable reminding teacher when shes not changed it ect.

But at home hes so violent,its heart breaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now