Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD DS Answering Own Questions - Is This Normal?

(4 Posts)
LadyNym Thu 11-Jun-15 14:54:19

DS1 has just turned three and is going through a diagnosis for ASD (I'm certain he's on the spectrum). I like to keep a list of all his behaviors and traits so I have evidence to show the HCPs at his appointments but I'm not always sure what's 'normal' for his age/NT and what may be caused by the ASD.

He just got very upset with me because he demanded some milk and I told him he already had some. He seemed genuinely upset but then said the following:

(In upset voice/crying): But I want some milk! I want some milk for my crisps.

(In a totally reasonable voice/like he's parroting): No, you not have crisps or milk.

(In upset voice): But I want it!

(In reasonable voice): You're tired.

(In very distressed voice): No, my not!

Then he went to play with a toy.

It seemed really weird to me. I know the parroting/echolalia type stuff is very typical in ASD kids (he repeats things a lot) but the way he had the whole conversation with himself where he seemed to 'play' me? Is that something I should add to the list? Is it normal? ASD? Something else?

He's done similar before where he answers his own question ('My go outside?' 'Not today.' etc.) but not to the same extent.

PolterGoose Thu 11-Jun-15 16:02:06

Oh bless him. It does sound echolalic. It's fairly common for children with autism to be late to develop an inner voice, so everything gets verbalised (or expressed in other ways!). It's like he's processing and thinking out loud what most people do in their heads.

I think my ds used to do it too, but I was ignorant back then and had no frame of reference, it sounds familiar confused

LadyNym Thu 11-Jun-15 16:49:06

Thank you, PolterGoose. On the list it goes, then!

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 11-Jun-15 16:53:20

Yes my DS does this I can generally find out what has gone on at school by ear wigging when he plays. If he has been in trouble that day I can hear the whole conversation word for word!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now