Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Today I was handed DS's IEP

(17 Posts)
HHH3 Tue 02-Jun-15 12:01:53

Just to sign but apparently I'll get a copy. I wasn't expecting it and no one had mentioned it.

Is it likely that they do one for all the children (nursery) or are they finally taking me seriously?

Sirzy Tue 02-Jun-15 13:25:07

They won't do one for everyone.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 02-Jun-15 14:11:21

Its bad practice to actually hand you a copy just to sign; it should be done termly with you present.

HHH3 Tue 02-Jun-15 14:24:33

Really? I was a bit stunned tbh because it's never been mentioned before. Until this point they've seemed quite dismissive when I've raised my concerns.

Do you know if there's anywhere which says they should do it with me? So I can read up before I say anything.

HHH3 Tue 02-Jun-15 15:19:03

Ok, I've just spoken to the manager. We had a meeting just after Easter about DS. This has basically been incorporated into an IEP. She said that she decided she really should do one for him and one should've been done when he started in Jan. It'll be reviewed half termly so it remains to be seen whether they do it with me or just hand it to me again.

WaftingWilberry Tue 02-Jun-15 16:03:30

You certainly don't need to sign it there and then, you can say you'd like to take it away to have a read through, and come back with any suggestions or questions. The copy they give you is essentially a draft until you have signed it off.

HHH3 Tue 02-Jun-15 16:05:29

I signed it straight away (read through it first). But I'll know for next time not to do that.

kojackscat Tue 02-Jun-15 19:57:49

Make sure they stick to it and actually do what it says.
Ds's was filed in a drawer with my comments for amendments still on a sticky note. Until I asked for a review, a term later. It took them a week to find it, then they said, oh well, its out of date, may as well start again. They didn't do any of the provision on it, cos they had forgotten all about it.

HHH3 Tue 02-Jun-15 21:31:39

Thanks kojacks. I'll bear that in mind and keep an eye on things.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 03-Jun-15 09:48:25

A poorly written IEP is not worth the paper its written on, they are not known as Individual Empty Promise for nothing either. Are the targets SMART (this means specific, measured, attainable, relevant and timed)?.

Do you think the contents of the IEP are enough to meet his needs or is more required.

HHH3 Wed 03-Jun-15 12:40:20

Good question. I'm not sure tbh. Once I get a copy I'll come back to this thread and post what it says if that's ok?

WhatHappensNextNow Wed 03-Jun-15 12:48:17

One school did this to us. In fact, they got our son to sign it before we even saw it! We then went back with amendments. Some of which were not here but most weren't. We didn't sign that one either! grin it was then quietly dropped and he has never got once since hmm

HHH3 Tue 09-Jun-15 09:35:32

Just coming back to this as know have a copy of the IEP. This is what it says...

Priority area: Expressive language
Target/s: Speak clearly and coherently
Action/Strategies/Resources/Support:Encourage <DS> to use language to communicate. Give choices to encourage language. Give time to respond - use makaton. Use hand over hand signing if needed.
When/Where/Whom/How often: In <nursery> and at home with parents. Ongoing.

Does that all look ok?

WaftingWilberry Tue 09-Jun-15 16:43:01

I'm not an expert, but the target doesn't look at all specific or measurable.

Things like 'give time to respond' would be better if they actually specified something like 5 seconds, 10 seconds - this would give the people administering the help a better idea.

The 'when' also doesn't seem specific (possibly because they think they will be using the strategies during ALL interaction with your DS??) but it doesn't say that.

Or whether there will be specific times set aside eg 10 mins each day where they will focus on achieving the target.

There's some info here, with good and bad examples:

www.sossen.org.uk/reports/IEP.pdf

HHH3 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:42:18

Thank-you - that's really helpful.

They've said it'll be reviewed every half term so I'll be making sure the next one is a lot better!

WaftingWilberry Tue 09-Jun-15 18:00:00

Glad it's helpful smile Does it have a review date on it? Put it in your diary and chase!!

HHH3 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:09:22

It has an end date - end of July. But was told that it'd be reviewed every half term so will be making sure that happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now