Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can someone please tell me about ADHD

(8 Posts)
kojackscat Mon 18-May-15 12:15:51

I don't know if this is is a daft question, but I really don't know the answer.
If a child has ADHD, do they have trouble concentrating on everything, or only things that they don't like?

My DS has many other issues anyway, but recently has found concentrating at school even more difficult than in the past.

He now has to go out of the class, with a TA, to get any work done. He used to do his work in the class, then he needed a small group within the main classroom, now he needs 1-1 in a room by himself, just to get him to focus and do a job at school.

But if I let him play minecraft or watch peppa pig, he can do that for hours.

So is he just showing his anxieties in large groups, or could this lack of attention and ability to concentrate on work be ADHD?

thanks

Pomegranatemolasses Mon 18-May-15 14:42:49

Many children with ADHD can focus brilliantly on those things that engage them. The problem arises when they are expected to focus on tasks which are less interesting/more challenging to them.

It's hard to say if your DS's issues with concentration stem from anxiety in large groups, but certainly enjoying minecraft and Peppa pig does not in any way rule out an ADHD diagnosis!

kojackscat Mon 18-May-15 15:17:53

Well, CAMHS ruled it out after a 30 min observation about a year ago, but I feel he has been getting worse over the last few months. He won't focus on anything school related, I can't even get him to do his reading at home anymore, so perhaps the class size is a red herring.
Perhaps when we have his ehcp, and he is in a new school in September, I can ask for another referral.

Pomegranatemolasses Mon 18-May-15 18:26:24

I don't see how any reliable 'ruling out' could be done in a 30 minute observation. Does he have other ADHD symptoms: constant moving, shifting in his seat, fiddling with small objects, talking excessively and also blurting out answers when it's not his turn?

ADHD can be more complex to diagnose, but usually there should be extensive interviews with parents, lengthy and detailed questionnaires completed by parents and teacher, as well as clinical observation.

I'd keep pushing - ADHD is very debilitating and can have a drastic impact on learning (as of course you know). Proper diagnosis and treatment can work wonders.

kojackscat Mon 18-May-15 18:51:27

Oh, definitely constant talking, he cant stop, its either asking the same question repeatedly, not waiting for the answer, or just talking non stop, 'look at this, see that do this' etc. We don't get a chance to answer before he is on to the next question.

Fidgeting, yes, not sitting still, yes.

But if he wants to stop all that, as I said, especially for tv, he can.

Is it camhs that have to diagnose? cos I doubt they will see him again, they are sick of seeing me.

senvet Tue 19-May-15 00:58:14

There are other things that could be in the mix, eg sensory issues. If dc is feeling itchy, or over-stimulated by noise then it is hard to focus.

Minecraft and Peppa Pig - are those things he is doing at home where there are fewer people?

For my relative with ADHD and ASD/C, it was being in a class with 30 sniffing noses, 30 pages turning, 60 shuffling feet - whether it was sensory overload or ADHD, it was a lot easier to do anything at hime with only 3 or 4 other people in the house and the joys of carpet to muffle the sound.

Hope this helps

kojackscat Tue 19-May-15 06:53:03

He definitely has sensory issues. Perhaps its all part of that, perhaps I'm over thinking it all.

ciyoa Sun 07-Jun-15 09:11:37

Hi OP,
I would just add that if you have concerns I would reefer to CAMHS yourself via GP. (You can request the referral). Our son was referred at our request in yr 2 and dismissed after 1 appt. I then got him re referred in yr4 and we are nearly at diagnosis stage after 9 months of assessments etc, all of which point to ADHD.
I only wish I had been more insistent earlier as it is much more noticeable now as his peers are more able to concentrate etc.
Btw, the only thing he can engage in for any length of time is minecraft and Fifa!!
Follow your instincts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now