Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone advise? homeless situation 3 dcs, 2 with sn

(6 Posts)
arieschicke Mon 18-May-15 11:39:07

I have 3 ds 2 have complex sn. no official dx apart from gdd. elder ds is statemented (just recieved statement after tribunal) and recieves mid rate care dla and lower mobility. elder ds recieves high care dla lower mobility but no statement.
4 months ago ll served me with notice to quit (section 21) as he was selling house. I have lived here 6 years always paid rent on time etc but due to being a carer claim hb. I immediately informed the council. I had an initial appointment where I had to take in proof of income and all the paperwork. fast forward to now and I still haven't heard from them. I phone most days to be told the housing officer will call back but she never does. I finally got through last week and she told me she would make a homeless application for us and when we have to leave we will be put into a bnb (not necessarily in our LA).
I have phoned today and they said no homeless application has been made which means I still cannot bid for a property. ll wants us to leave on the 25th May but we literally have no where to go. I have skint after tribunal and stressed. how will I manage with 3 young dcs (under8) in a bnb? one who doesn't sleep at night, the other who cannot sit still for a second. Both have huge sensory issues and clash resulting in violence.
can anyone offer any advice about what to do next?

Fanon Mon 18-May-15 12:27:26

Have you contacted shelter?

PolterGoose Mon 18-May-15 13:44:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bedelia Mon 18-May-15 14:01:34

So sorry to read about your predicament! I second calling Shelter and going to housing office in person. If need be (can't get through on phone, nobody available, etc) then just turn up as it might help you get seen more quickly - you won't be fobbed off so easily and will at least be able to speak to someone.

I'm really surprised you've been offered only B&B for you and your children! Many HA's (especially council run) have short-term furnished properties available for such situations. Are there any other (non-council run) HAs in your area? Try any you can find, you might be lucky somewhere else.

CAB may be able to offer more advice local to you.

If you're able (and willing, of course) to move to a different LA, there are some HAs which have properties available on a first-come-first-served basis. In my LA, these tend to be 2-3 bed properties in less-desirable areas of course. There are several close to where we are (I'm in the North), though I realise it's not the same story across the country. I know this would be a massive thing for you and your DCs, but something to consider if you get really desperate.

Best of luck, and sending [hugs]

PolterGoose Mon 18-May-15 14:21:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

senvet Tue 19-May-15 01:03:28

My friend who is disabled herself got help by going to MP and local press.

The other big help was getting a "good tenant" reference from the landlord.

It is SO bad that this happens to you (and to my friend) as in both cases the bnb trauma aggravates what is already more difficult to manage than most people in the mainstream world undertsand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now