Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

in simple terms why would dd act out instead of telling us whats wrong..

(5 Posts)
greener2 Sun 17-May-15 23:16:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

senvet Mon 18-May-15 00:30:29

I think they all do, even as nt teenagers.

My dogs do as well - they snap at each other more when they feel stress in the household.

My fairly nt 5 year old was a nightmare at school when I was in hospital - the slightest touch in a queue was interpreted aggression and he lashed out. His ever-so-wise class R teacher just took him away and gave him hugs and reassurance

BertieBotts Mon 18-May-15 00:52:17

Just suggestions which come to mind -

Because she didn't really know that's why she was upset, she just felt wrong and the behaviour was involuntary/her triggers were lower than usual. (All people do this, e.g. I was really grumpy this morning, because I had a headache and didn't sleep well.)

Because it's quite hard to put into words how you feel, quite nerve wracking to tell somebody they are upsetting you (even mum/dad), and generally easier to hold onto it and therefore let it affect your mood. (Again, I expect you've done this yourself sometimes)

She might have been unaware that she was being rude and shouty so had no reason to stop and think "Hang on, why am I being horrible?" (Even if she did, do you know many adults who have this kind of self awareness?)

She felt angry and wanted to "punish" you for it - simply telling you she was angry/upset isn't really the same and she might have imagined that it wouldn't make her feel better.

zzzzz Mon 18-May-15 06:37:16

It's not an ASD thing, a child thing, or a teen thing. It's a human thing. We all do it, because total emotional self awareness is unattainable.

greener2 Mon 18-May-15 07:25:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now