Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to overcome a diagnosis in the NHS?

(8 Posts)
adrianna22 Fri 15-May-15 21:24:49


Say your child was diagnosed with a condition on the NHS and is stated on the medical system. But say you had your child be assessed by a professional who is independent of the NHS, regarding the condition the NHS has diagnosed him with. But after tests, the professional concluded that he doesn't have the condition.

How do I go to the NHS to remove the diagnosis of the condition which is written on their medical files.

I hope this makes sense.

adrianna22 Fri 15-May-15 21:25:31

Eeek! I meant "how to remove a diagnosis on the NHS".

PolterGoose Fri 15-May-15 21:34:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adrianna22 Fri 15-May-15 21:37:38

Even though he wasn't assessed on the NHS, Polter Goose?

I forgot to add that in.

The doctor gave him the diagnosis, without performing any tests on him.

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 15-May-15 22:13:23

Sorry can I clarify. An NHS doctor gave a diagnosis based on his clinical opinion but without doing the tests for that diagnosis that would normally be done.
Then an independent professional did those tests and concluded that the diagnosis was wrong.

If that is the case then I think you would probably have to get an NHS doctor to confirm the private opinion and record it in the medical notes, flagging that it is a correction of previous opinion. In my experience medics tend to look at most recent stuff mainly.

PALS at original hospital may be able to give more precise advice.

PolterGoose Fri 15-May-15 22:27:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adrianna22 Fri 15-May-15 22:29:24

Nohaudin, yes your spot on.

senvet Fri 15-May-15 23:32:06

I would definitely send/give the new diagnosis to the gp. My GP is happy to put independent info on records. Might work better in a meeting if you have a nice GP.

The NHS records are basically a history of opinions, so the fact that a doctor gave a diagnosis at some point in the past can't be changed, but the new diagnosis will always be there. You may be able to agree some wording with your GP.

I hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now