Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anxiety cause hallucination?

(5 Posts)
claw2 Fri 15-May-15 08:07:02

Ds has recently started to see and hear a little girl and also hear a mans voice.

I have been looking for 'triggers', medication has been ruled out. I have stopped ds's melatonin, however the voices have continued.

The voices are not constant, they come and go.

blankgaze Fri 15-May-15 09:38:33

It's not something that's widely reported as being anxiety related per se but it's very common in childhood.

I've no experience but in your shoes I'd read as many accounts of childrens' 'imaginary friends' as I could and see how your ds' experience relates to them. If his experiences are pretty much standard, I'd let it run its course, if they are very different, then I'd consider taking it further.

claw2 Fri 15-May-15 11:59:45

Ds had imaginary friends when younger and this is different.

I was thinking along the lines of when Ds is stressed/anxious he is kinda on high alert and thinking negative thoughts etc. innocent sights and sounds, can be made into something else. Does that make sense?

Kind of like a panic attack, when logical thinking is difficult.

claw2 Fri 15-May-15 12:02:11

Like when calm and relaxed a creaky floorboard is exactly that. When stressed and brain on high alert, creaky floorboard is someone is there kind of thing?

wfrances Fri 15-May-15 12:15:57

i suffer from hallucinations caused by acute anxiety,
have done since i was 4 .
so yes it is possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now