Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Toothbrush-along vid for 10yo?

(9 Posts)
Vada Tue 17-Feb-15 10:24:50

I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for getting my 10yo DS with asperger's to brush his own teeth properly. It's driving me mad. We still brush his teeth for him but he has such sensory issues that he rails against it and it's miserable. He also has significant plaque build up so it's worrying. I want him to take control, if he can. We've tried timers so he knows to continue brushing for 2 mins but he just cursorily moves brush around and stops half way through. I've looked and looked, but can't find, a video/youtube thing that, rather tell you how to brush your teeth, actually allows you to brush-along with it if that makes sense? So the 2 mins is broken up with instructions to spend x amount of time on the top left etc etc. has anyone ever come across anything like this? Or any other kind of suggestions welcome! I'm sure many of you have battled this same issue! grin

PolterGoose Tue 17-Feb-15 11:46:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vada Tue 17-Feb-15 12:15:37

Thanks Polter. Yes we do have the collis curve brush but will look up that toothpaste (toothpaste flavour a big issue!). Had forgotten about the disclosing tablets, think I might have some somewhere. I think I might have to make do with a kind of instruction poster type thing, rather than a vid. He really is exceptionally resistant though. It's difficult- because it has long term repercussions we help him with his teeth (i.e. Do it for him hmm) but it doesn't really help to foster independence sadly.

MooMummyMoo Tue 17-Feb-15 12:17:29

Vada, this doesn't answer your actual question...but have you tried an electric toothbrush. My DD has sensory issues and she can tolerate an electric toothbrush much better

bbkl Tue 17-Feb-15 13:24:33

PolterGoose Tue 17-Feb-15 13:30:07

Vada Tue 17-Feb-15 14:49:47

Moo- yes we've tried an electric toothbrush once and he was totally freaked out by the noise and vibration. Funny how different things work and don't work for different kids!

Bbkl, yes I thought of that and might still do it. The thing is it would probably need a voiceover I think, saying eg 'and now start on the top teeth etc' - which I couldn't do, but without might still help- worth a try!

Polter- yes I imagine we'll end up doing it for a while longer the way things are going. Which I actually wouldn't mind if he were compliant but he makes it so difficult and it's the thing that really tests my patience. While I keep saying 'open wide' etc his screws his mouth up so it's like a keyhole!! And eventually everyone gets annoyed. We also still do a lot for him in terms of self care although we managed to get him wiping his bum last year (with wipes, still not loo paper), which was a long term project to say the least! I'm off over half term and was thinking maybe I could tackle the toothbrushing.

Thanks for all the input!

bbkl Tue 17-Feb-15 14:54:16

Vada Tue 17-Feb-15 15:53:27

Thanks Bbkl, I don't think I'd thought of doing it alongside him myself like you described doing with your DD. Why didn't I think of that? Sometimes I think so hard about stuff that I fail to see a straightforward solution. Anyway, I just tried that with DS and it was quite effective! I had to yank my mouth about so he could see what I was doing but he mainly followed it. I think now I'll set up a chart for marking each time he does it, with some sort of reward. My spitting out repulsed him though (he never spits) so I might do it 'dry' next time! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now