Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS severe language delay is becoming obvious

(6 Posts)
adrianna22 Sun 15-Feb-15 17:37:55

DS, 5, ASD with a severe speech and language delay.

Since DS is 5, his language delay has started to become obvious. Especially when he opens his mouth, as he sounds like a toddler.

How do I face the sympathetic glares from the public?? Should I pretend I don't care, or tell the person about DS?

Though, on the other hand, I think to myself, is it really any of their business?

Also since DS has started to say the word "no" he has become- hate to say the word- behavioural.

Back to the point, how did any of you parents deal with this?

Bilberry Sun 15-Feb-15 21:43:55

It is great he sounds like a toddler now adrianna as he must have come on quite a bit in the last year. It wasn't so long ago he had only half-dozen words. Well done ds! I remember when my ds started saying 'no'. I told someone how pleased I was and they were really negative and couldn't understand why I was so pleased he could say 'no'. Like a lot of developmental things it didn't necessarily make life easier but it was progress so I was pleased!

I do tend to tell people who look surprised at my ds speech that he has some speech problems. I don't elaborate as it is not their business. But I do wonder if this is the right thing to do. Ds is so positive about most things that I don't want him always hearing me tell people about something he finds difficult.

senvet Sun 15-Feb-15 23:09:10

Well ds will have a better life for being able to say 'no' even though the novelty of it is going to cause issues for a while.

I find a few chosen phrases are good. If someone is staring at you like dc has a bad parent who is failing to control him, the a quick reference to SEN will make them think twice before staring and saying something to someone else.

The pity people - the 'oh isn't it awful' type people - is worth having some responses for. I go for 'enjoying life' or 'really good improvements recently'. That tends to reset the thing.

Keep up the good work adri and don't let the lack of education in the public get you down - it is their ignorance, and not entirely their fault, I guess.

adrianna22 Mon 16-Feb-15 18:34:48

Thanks Bilberry, yes DS has come a long way, even though he is still
delayed. But he is making progress. grin

Thanks Senvet! It is better to get the ones that are pitiful rather than the judgemental ones.

PolterGoose Mon 16-Feb-15 18:43:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lottytheladybird Mon 16-Feb-15 21:55:03

My DS1, who's 4 and a half, also has an ASD and a speech delay. He now speaks mostly in sentences, but when he started school in September, he could only link 2 words together really.

Anyway, people we meet out and about often talk to my DS1, but he doesn't tend to respond. I don't explain about DS1, I don't want DS1 hearing me say things about him to random strangers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: