Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Aspergers children and loosing teeth.....

(7 Posts)
bitbap18 Fri 13-Feb-15 19:37:38

My DD is very nearly 7. Only diagnosed with Aspergers last week, but we've known for a long time that it was likely she was somewhere on the spectrum.

We have huge issues over her teeth falling out, as is obviously natural for her age. She's so scared of them coming out, despite being very very close to number 7 coming out. She's fine once it's out, but she thinks it will hurt, which of course it won't. She's not good with pain anyway, and we have meltdowns over the tinest scratches etc.

Anyone else experienced this? Any advice? Many thanks

Ineedmorepatience Fri 13-Feb-15 19:52:36

Yes, we had this with both Dd1 (undiagnosed) and Dd3 with Asd. They used to get really stressed about it because it feels wrong!

Many children with As/Asd have sensory issues and cannot differentiate between a small pain and a massive one.

Sensory intergration therapy can help but it is often not available on the NHS sadly.

There is a sensory processing thread running on this board that might help.

Good luck smile

bitbap18 Fri 13-Feb-15 20:04:51

Thanks. She has various sensory issues (noise, smell, touch, taste etc) so it doesn't surprise me as such, just never occurred to me it could be such a big deal.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 13-Feb-15 20:52:42

Dd1 was a nightmare with loose teeth, she used to constantly mess with them with her fingers, she got infections in her mouth several times from putting dirty fingers in there!!

Dd3 was more anxious and would pull them out before they were ready because she didnt like the feel!!

Kids eh!! wink

PolterGoose Fri 13-Feb-15 20:56:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 13-Feb-15 21:03:02

We had the problem that DS2 didn't wobble them or push them with his tongue, so he ended up having five milk teeth that hung around longer than they were meant to, coexisting with the new permanent teeth.

He had two extracted (very easily) by our very lovely dentist, who instructed him to go home and wobble the remaining three so they'd come out naturally. He took the advice literally and wobbled all three, one after the other, until they came out.

tacal Sat 14-Feb-15 18:51:19

I have just gone through this with my ds who has hfa. He lost his first tooth and found it very upsetting and painful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: