Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Iep- improve spelling / apply phonics

(6 Posts)
greener2 Thu 12-Feb-15 14:05:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

senvet Fri 13-Feb-15 12:33:31

Probably there is a reason. Do you have a dx?

Luckily spelling is largely ignored in the big wide world.

Can dc spell when the task is ONLY spelling. Eg if you go through the whole 'look cover spell check' thing?

And then does it fall apart when something else if happening like trying to write a story at the same time? It is a big ask to stop in full flow and start applying phonics.

My ds could pass a spelling test by committing it all to short term memory, but it was all gone ten minutes later, and if he was doing creative writing he could spell the same work 3 different (but logical) ways on the same page. He has dyslexia to the point that he can mis-spell his own name, but it hasn't held him back.

Not sure I am helping much here...

greener2 Fri 13-Feb-15 14:50:47

senvet Fri 13-Feb-15 15:14:57

indie ed psych should be able to dx dyslexia if dc has it. Or it may be a more subtle bit of memory or something that is not quite triggering as expected.

Practice has never cured dyslexia, so if increasing the practice is not increasing the spelling in a long-term way, and in the midst of eg a story, then the LA EP is wrong.

The LA EP, I take it, didn't do a full assessment with centiles etc?
If they did you need to send it to your indie EP (you may be miles ahead of me here) as your indie EP will need to do a different set of tests.

And if they didn't that would explain why you are all still in the dark

greener2 Fri 13-Feb-15 16:13:12

senvet Fri 13-Feb-15 17:05:12

My dd has working memory on 9th centile, ie if you take all kids her age, 8% would have a worse working memory and 91% a better working memory.

Working memory is holding several unconnected things in the brain at the same time, so dd is incredibly scatty. Loses everything.

her short term visual memory is off, so copying from the board is tricky. They say she can take photos of the board with her phone, but that is no use unless they make sure she has filed them somewhere she can find them.

So your dd's school has to adapt for your dd to give her written instructions or give oral instructions one by one, or in a list that can be ticked off. Above all they must not tell her off for things that are not her fault.

The indie ep should unravel this for you.

The existing EP report would be a full assessment if it tested cognitive function, verbal reasoning, various facets of memory, etc etc with tests like counting backwards, or picking out the same picture in a field of different pictures - eg all the number "3" on a field of different digits.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

One heads up though. The only bit that might be tricky going forwards is if the indie ep makes a lot of recommendations which the LA EP did not recommend. LA EPs tend to be vague about provision.

My suggestion would be to pre-empt that by sending the indie ep report to the la ep and ask the la ep if there is anything in it with which s/he disagrees. With luck the answer will be 'no' and that will ensure that the school does not have an excuse to go with the less quantified provision in the LA EP

Good Luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now