Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

"i wouldnt go private..." reasons told by school!

(7 Posts)
greener2 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:52:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzee Wed 11-Feb-15 21:18:02

No it's bollox. If anyone Dx because you are paying they'd not have a very long career. To cover yourself you can chose a professional who is also an NHS employee (nearly all are).

If they make recommendations then the school can choose to ignore, but they can do that anyway. The on,y way around that is to get it written into a EHCP and then the school can whinge to the LA and get more resources if they need them.

greener2 Wed 11-Feb-15 21:28:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

senvet Wed 11-Feb-15 22:09:46

No difference if the school is an academy

The law is 100% clear - the needs must be met.

The provision (or whatever they call it now) MUST be specified.

AND if the school budget doesn't extend to cover what dc needs then you need and EHCP and the LA will have to give them the funding.

If the LA/school do not do what is in the EHCP then you can get the court to order them to do it. And then they face jail for contempt of court if they breach the court order. So there!

The school should be rejoicing at you doing something which will increase their funding.

There is a slight difference - if an ed psych diagnoses eg dyslexia then the ed psych can set out what the provision should be.

If a psychiatrist diagnoses eg ASD you may need an ed psych, a speech and language therapist and an Occupational Therapist to set out what provision dc needs.

Of course the LA tends to use every chance along the way to use their own experts to water down what dc needs, but you already have a lovely piece of evidence from the school.

Just get it in writing eg by email "thanks for your help today. I am thinking about what you said about diagnoses leading to recommendations that the school can't afford to meet. I'll think it over, and let you know what we decide"

That could come in handy down the line.

2boysnamedR Wed 11-Feb-15 22:13:02

Total poo. I have been proof of that.

Academies answer to the LA too. They still work with ehcp / statements weather they like it or not

Handywoman Wed 11-Feb-15 22:58:53

Utter bollox. Private assessments and therapy have been invaluable for dd2 and for me, and for school too.

Icimoi Thu 12-Feb-15 12:48:48

Independent experts are subject to their own professional standards and would be at risk of losing their career if they don't comply with them.

If they make recommendations and those recommendations find their way into an EHCP, there is no choice but to make sure they are complied with. I really wish it was a requirement of SENCO training that they get proper training in the law, ideally from someone like SOS SEN or IPSEA.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: