Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

hypermobility problems with ribs??

(9 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Tue 10-Feb-15 11:37:30

Just been reading a thread on flapping. Polters comment has made me think:-

Dd2, recently dx with ASD, age 11. She has SPD and hypermobility. Has been referred to OT but not had appointment through yet. Anyway, I have her at GP next week but wondered if her symptoms could be kind of linked to flapping or sensory.... She's very hypermobile and often/usually bends her wrists all the way down to her forearm when talking and often swirls hands around (as if trying to make the bones crack). I've never thought of this as being stimming? But the main reason we're going to GP is she says her ribs are too loose and too far down so keep knocking into her hip bones confused A distant friend of mine, her sister has hypermobility and her ribs keep 'popping out', she gets them popped back in but can sneeze and they're out again. I assume this is what's happening to dd ... but I now wonder if everything's actually 'normal' as it should be and it's just her not feeling/knowing her body/sensory issues?

senvet Tue 10-Feb-15 17:09:38

Tricky. My hypermobile dd could pop out shoulders at will and the physio told her very firmly to stop doing it as a party trick!

The exercises she was doing were to get the muscles stronger so they could do the job that the floppy ligaments should have been doing. And the party trick shoulders were undoing the good work of the exercises.

So from that, I would say if the flapping is over-stretching her hands, then it is probably going to aggravate the hypermobility and undo the good of any exercises - and if she hasn't got any exercises yet, then would she be able to do them? If so, the GP could send you to a physio, or try looking online.

Good Luck

frazzledbutcalm Tue 10-Feb-15 19:28:46

Hi sen .. I too can pop out my shoulder wink
I also know why I shouldn't, but it feels good blush My hips also pop out.

Dd hands aren't the problem as such, I just wondered if her bending and twisting them was her way of stimming? It was just a comment made on another thread that made me suddenly wonder.

Dd ribs are the problem we need looked at. She says they're sore a lot and keep banging against her hip bones confused

She's had no physio yet ... GP won't refer her, but she's been referred to OT by psych who dx ASD, so I'm hopeful that at least someone will look at her!

PolterGoose Tue 10-Feb-15 19:29:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Tue 10-Feb-15 19:31:11

frazzledbutcalm Tue 10-Feb-15 19:37:15

polter Sensory feedback ... that's the phrase I was looking for. I'd wondered if dd hands thing is a sensory feedback. But her ribs .. she says they hurt and she can feel them against her hip bones. At first I thought that's impossible! Then I thought it's going to be a big problem. Now I think it could just be she can feel things that others feel and don't feel iyswim? If that's the case then I guess nothing can be done for her, but I don't want her feeling sore or uncomfortable. She feels it every day. Would OT look into hypermobility and physio or would I need to go to GP do you think?

PolterGoose Tue 10-Feb-15 19:42:11

ouryve Tue 10-Feb-15 19:48:12

Popping joints is fine, but over extending can do lasting damage. I feel so much better for a good click, though. It releases so much pressure.

DS1' just discovered that he can click his hands. I've tried not to react. For now.

OT or physio can work on hypermobility, simply from different perspectives (OT in improving function, physio in improving strength and stability), but the GP might be a good idea as it sounds like a referral to a rheumatologist might be in order.

Her perception will be out of kilter with what's actually happening, btw, since the ribs are tied together pretty well, even in someone very hypermobile and there's a heck of a lot of spine between the lowest rib and the top of the hip bones.

It's worth having a look at her, standing, from behind, to check that her spine is straight, before you talk to your GP. If it's not, then maybe that could maybe explain the sensations she's experiencing, as the load on her trunk and abdominal muscles won't be even.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 10-Feb-15 20:55:17

Hi ourvye ... I agree it's impossible for her ribs to be hitting her hips! grin I just can't work out what she can feel confused
She has sensory processing disorder so I'm guessing it's connected with that maybe more than the hypermobility. You've got me thinking now though ... I should have realised it earlier ... dd spine is straight BUT she it is very curved at the bottom (sticky out bum gymnast style), which isn't good for her femoral neck antiversion. She has exercises to do from our private podiatrist to lengthen, strengthen etc. She hasn't done these exercises for a while, AND she's growing to it makes the problem even worse and the need for exercises even more. I wonder/hope this is the problem with the ribs! We're at the GP next week so I'll ask for her to be referred to physio. Hopefully OT will also do some good.

I imagine your ds hand clicks are just the beginning wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: