Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Communication device advice needed please

(9 Posts)
Toots38 Mon 09-Feb-15 18:33:01

I'm looking for advice on communication devices or apps for my DD who is 4. We have tried gridplayer, but it's too confusing for her. I'm looking for something where the screen is fixed, so she can learn where the symbols are that she needs, without the front screen always changing.. God, I hope that makes sense!
Any ideas anyone? She's pretty bright and can spell out a lot of words, but finds typing everything she wants very tiring... Therefore is refusing to use gridplayer at all at the moment.
Our SALT is looking for us too, but is over worked and understaffed. DD is becoming increasingly frustrated and therefore lashing out more as we can't understand Her...help!
She has an ipad .

senvet Mon 09-Feb-15 20:43:49

Sorry - totally not my field, but good luck

WineCowboy Mon 09-Feb-15 21:36:43

Would this be the kind of thing you mean?
Or you could do it the old fashioned way and print out sheet of symbols for her to choose between! I could help you with that if you need it.

I might be barking up the wrong tree though so ignore me if I am!

hazeyjane Mon 09-Feb-15 21:46:26

Ds has just had a trial on a smart box device, loaded with The Grid2, and is hopefully getting a dedicated device soon.

Is it that she can't get back to the home page, or does she need it to be more personalised? Is she using the full Grid, or Symbol talker A or B?

The people on the phone at smart box are very helpful. They may be able to give you some advice, or even find your nearest AAC SALT www.smartboxat.com

There are some posters on the boards whose children use Proloquo - which may be better, I don't know much about it though!

Toots38 Mon 09-Feb-15 22:13:54

Thanks for the replies. Dd has successfully used symbols and becomes frustrated at her limited symbol vocab. Initial attempts with gridplayer went well, but she slowly tired of spelling out all her words. We mainly used symbol talker A and the ABC keyboard. It's quicker for her to write on a chalk board the key words than use the ipad to communicate.
Smartbox seems to use gridplayer too.. Unless I'm missing something ( it's late for me)!
I was thinking of speakforyourself www.speakforyourself.org
Dd is bright but has low muscle tone and needs something easy to acces.
winecowboy thanks for your kind offer, but we need to move on from printed symbols.

Ilikesweetpeas Mon 09-Feb-15 22:19:22

Coukd this place help you? Although you have to pay for an assessment they may be able to just have a chat and point you in the direction of possible aids / apps acecentre.org.uk.

I hope you get some support for your daughter soon, it must be very frustrating for you both

Memom Tue 10-Feb-15 01:58:43

Have you seen Mychoicepad? Works on the iPad but is expensive. There is a lite version that is free.

WineCowboy Tue 10-Feb-15 18:16:13

No probs, I need to get up to speed too! My knowledge is a few years old. Good luck with finding something good smile

Toots38 Tue 10-Feb-15 18:38:02

The ace centre were extremely helpful, thanks ilikesweeetpeas. They've sent me info on a website called communication matters :
www.communicationmatters.org.uk/page/aac-commissioning-england
They also offer free appointments at information days, so you don't need to initially pay the eye watering fee(!!). Phew!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: