Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ever bring in stuff for school staff to read?

(9 Posts)
Corrimony Mon 09-Feb-15 12:44:36

Hi. I find myself continually thinking that teachers and assistants could do so much better with my son (Aspergers, Y1) if they read certain books and articles once I have read them. I think about bringing them in and saying if anyone wants to look at this they are welcome, but I worry that they will be irritated that I am proposing they do extra work and implying that they do not know what they are doing. It would be great to know if anyone has ever brought in reading material for the staff themselves and if so what was the reaction? Thanks.

ouryve Mon 09-Feb-15 12:59:12

I have done, yes.

Had a TA who was grateful, as I had some books with some good ideas for sensory activities to do with DS1 when he was small.

I've also provided general reading material for the staffroom, eg info about PDA, the book entitled something like "10 things every child with autism wish you knew" complete with a lot of marginalia!

bbkl Mon 09-Feb-15 13:19:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Mon 09-Feb-15 14:08:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twinkcat Mon 09-Feb-15 14:55:09

I have taken stuff in. I think some of it is in ds' file. I don't know if they read it.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 09-Feb-15 16:00:32

I have enough trouble getting SALT and EP reports read!! I wont push my luck!!

A friend did lend her sons one to one Ten things every child with autism wishes you knew, which was well received smile

whereonthestair Mon 09-Feb-15 17:02:27

I have, but done so on the basis that it is up to the staff if they read stuff. I have also sent in video of physio etc. so far it has been welcomed, but I really don't do it on the basis of you must do this or that. The staff are employed to do a job, so so long as they do it I see additional resources I give them as just that additional. What they then do with them is up to them.

senvet Mon 09-Feb-15 20:41:19

My relative offered to pay for training for the school as part of an INSET day. She was refused, but that was a decade ago - she might be welcomed with open jaws now

Corrimony Tue 10-Feb-15 10:35:31

It's good to know others have brought stuff in and it has gone down ok. I think I will but I'll be careful to say it is an offer rather than a demand.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: