Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do your children with ADHD get any additional support at school?

(9 Posts)
Lindy2 Sun 08-Feb-15 18:15:13

DD age 6 quite likely has ADHD. At this stage it is not officially diagnosed and we manage through techniques like 123 magic rather than medication. She is improving with age and has a good teacher this year (year 2). Last year she had an NQT which really did not work out well and she is gradually catching up as she fell behind in all subjects.
I am thinking of going forward with a diagnosis but only if it will help with things like teachers having more understanding of her, additional support (she is currently on the Senior list although I don't think she actually has much additional help really), extra time for Stats etc. What I don't want is for us to go through diagnosis with no positive help at the end apart from being offered meds. My fear is a diagnosis would just give the school a reason not to try to hard with her and to give up on her achieving academically.
Any advice or experiences would be very welcome.

Lindy2 Sun 08-Feb-15 18:16:39

SEN list not senior.

guggenheim Sun 08-Feb-15 18:41:57

Ds is 5 and has one to one support in the mornings. He doesn't need to be hovered over so 'his' TA works with whoever needs help but gives as much time as is needed to DS. He is in a group to help with his writing,but that isn't necessarily to do his adhd,he's just poor at handwriting.

I don't know what, if any arrangements will be made for next year,have to wait and see.

This is only my opinion,but with very young children,I think it is worth going for dx just because it should at least, result in some advice which school can make use of.I completely understand what you are saying about meds - no one can make you have them if you don't want your Dd to use them.

I think you can withdraw from the process at any point so weigh up if it may help your Dd in future years against how helpful the school is- is the SENCO good? Are T's & the HT approachable or hopeless with children with additional needs? Is Dd happy and coping? (most important)

Ds has been referred for assessment by an OT for sensory processing disorder and I HOPE this will help him to calm down and regulate his bonkers emotions.

Good luck whatever you decide. : )

guggenheim Sun 08-Feb-15 18:48:34

Sorry me again,there is a really good thread about adhd and sensory issues a bit further down. Have a little look and see if there is anything helpful there.

Lindy2 Sun 08-Feb-15 22:12:51

Thanks Guggenheim. That's helpful. I think I am feeling more inclined towards seeking a diagnosis. At least then we can choose if we do anything different going forward or just stay as we are if we want to. It's so hard to decide though. I wish DD was older and could tell me what she would choose for herself.

senvet Sun 08-Feb-15 22:57:53

My relative came off meds and had a low distraction environment and therapy toward self regulation.
Now 20 - you would not know he had ADHD.

It is the therapy that counted most.

streakybacon Mon 09-Feb-15 06:54:33

I'd press for assessment and diagnosis. She's only 6, but her ADHD will likely present bigger problems as she gets older and moves through the education system. With the dx in place school may be more inclined to give the proper support, rather than treating her generally without specific ADHD techniques.

Additionally, I see you've said you choose not to medicate at this point but to use other techniques. Bear in mind you will not be able to change this without dx as NICE guidelines dictate that an individual must have a diagnosis before medication can be prescribed. There might come a time when you feel medication is the right choice (never say never - it can be life-changing for some children), but if you're prepared for that decision by having the dx ready, it will mean your daughter will get the help she needs sooner rather than later.

Lindy2 Mon 09-Feb-15 11:34:23

Thanks all. I'm going to go ahead and make a gp appointment. I will go along without DD just to discuss things.
If anyone could give me a bit of information about what to expect that would be really helpful. I'm expecting it to be a pretty slow process.

streakybacon Mon 09-Feb-15 12:35:14

Probably not a lot a GP level. They'll ask what your main concerns are, why you think ADHD etc. The real questions are asked at assessment when you'll be asked for a full developmental history and relevant behaviours.

It wouldn't hurt to start making some notes now, for the GP appointment. If you haven't already, google Connors Questionnaire for ADHD and that will give you some ideas about what they'll be looking for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: