Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Birthday gift ideas for a boy with CP

(7 Posts)
dunnoreally Tue 03-Feb-15 21:49:56

I am a lurker as I have a child with HFA and I read and read and learn lots. Never post but I would like some good advice here.

We are going to a birthday party for a young man with CP. He is in a chair and has some limited speech, I am clearly no expert but I would say minimal use of his hands and head. Gets stronger and achieves more by the day though!

I'd like to get a useful present for him. Something that will bring him pleasure. It would need to be fairly easy to get and perhaps from somewhere like Argos or something. I thought of some shaker musical type doofer but maybe that seems so....I don't know...patronising? He will be 5 btw.

I know someone out there has an idea for the must have popular toy! Please share and thank you very much.

senvet Wed 04-Feb-15 00:05:50

Any passions like Thomas the Tank or Batman etc that you know of? If so, pillow cases, cds, dvds,dressing up etc etc

Rjae Wed 04-Feb-15 10:29:04

iPads are super for Cp children but I'm sure it's a bit much price wise! Pop up toys where you press a button and get a response, are good for motor control even if they are not age appropriate. There are lots of websites with sensory toys.

MooMummyMoo Wed 04-Feb-15 13:33:20

If you are worried about getting something too 'babyish', how about a sound book? (Where you press different sounds as you go through the story) - we have a few but Room on the broom is a good one and not too young?

For more sensory stuff 'cheap disability aids' is a great website - don't be put off by the rubbish name!!

Summerdaydreams Wed 04-Feb-15 14:15:02

How old is he? i also suggest a sound books, maybe a token for some apps he can download or an ipad or tablet if he has one.
Pillow pet dream-lite??

Summerdaydreams Wed 04-Feb-15 14:16:04

On an ipad, not or

dunnoreally Wed 04-Feb-15 19:57:17

Thanks so much folks.

Really great ideas here - I'll have a look with your suggestions in mind and see what I can find.
Pillow pet is a great idea - we have those and love them.

Shopping mission tomorrow!
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now