Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

It's the fact no one seems to believe me and I have to justify all :(

(19 Posts)
greener2 Tue 27-Jan-15 11:11:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babieseverywhere Tue 27-Jan-15 12:46:43

I believe you thanks brew

Polter said studies show that when parents feel there is a development issue in their child they are usually right.

Honks...Hope things get better for you.

PolterGoose Tue 27-Jan-15 12:56:03

2boysnamedR Tue 27-Jan-15 13:29:29

Your not alone I'm afraid. I am on the verge of doing something stupid as I'm so fed up.

Borka Tue 27-Jan-15 13:31:35

It's horrible, but try not to let it get you down - easier said than done, I know.

I think there are several different reasons teachers don't see difficulties, including: they don't want to because then they'll have to do something; they really don't see because there are 30 children in the class & they can't pay individual attention to any of them; they do see something but they don't recognise what they're seeing. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons to.

Borka Tue 27-Jan-15 13:32:46

too not to

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 27-Jan-15 13:35:19

I believe you too, greener

DD smiles and laughs her way through the day, she is a high achiever, academic, has friends, talks to staff

then she gets home and refuses to talk to me, can't choose what to eat for dinner, shouts, stamps, throws things, has no outside interests...

senvet Tue 27-Jan-15 16:49:18

greener you are right.
They are wrong.

The reflex of teachers is to say everything is fine. Remember the amount of SEN training most of them have had could be written on a stamp.

And from the point of view of some teachers dcs are fine if they are not disruptive. As long as they are coping...

But as I have said before, coping is not relevant.

I fear you need to find the organ grinder - the monkey is not getting it.

2boys I hope 'something stupid' is painting a large sign on the grass outside the LA offices, (no criminal damage it grows out). I am wishing you all possible hot chocolates, relaxing massages, and magic wands I can.

MonkeyPuzzler Tue 27-Jan-15 16:52:20

I know how you feel. My DD is younger but all I ever heard was "she'll do it in her time" and even health professionals seemed to imply there was no problem. DD was diagnosed with ASD. Fortunately my concerns about DS are taken more seriously but I think that is mainly due to me already having a child on the spectrum.

veronicasawyerheartsjd Tue 27-Jan-15 16:53:51

I believe you too smile

My ds is 6 as well and is doing well academically at school, no meltdowns, no tears, lots of smiles and enthusiasm, but comes home and lets loose, and has been in tears about going to school as he said he doesn't trust any of the adults there apart from the SENCO he sees once a week. His teacher has up until recently said that he is a normal 6 year old boy, that they are just overexcited and fidgety by nature, and she won't lie for me to the professionals confused.

Luckily since OT have said they want to put stuff in place for him and visit him at school after seeing him a couple of weeks ago, school have suddenly come on board hmm. How far along the assessment route are you? Do you have any health professionals on board yet?

I am relatively new to this board, but have received loads of support, don't feel like you are going mad, you are not, just rant on here flowers

greener2 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:25:47

2boysnamedR Tue 27-Jan-15 20:59:25

Well I was told my school ep was very tell it like it is. However he couldn't pick out a arse in classroom of elbows and turned up at tribunal with my la rep giggling like a pair of 16 year old love birds. He wanted to sit next to rep and they constantly passed notes like a pair of 12 year kids.

Bad day here but i trust a indi ep more. Every one I spoke to told me they might tell me something I didn't want to hear or might not help my case. They answer to not the la or parent as you pay up regardless of content.

School ep argued on the day my ds had no sen. He has a four year speech delay so go figure that logic. I don't need a phd in psychology to work him out. Rant over

StarlightMcKenzee Tue 27-Jan-15 21:00:33

Basically, if a child as an identified need, the Local Authority have a legal duty to ensure that need is met.

So, they deny need.

2boysnamedR Tue 27-Jan-15 21:08:49

senvet don't worry - the something stupid was dropping my polite "I'm just trying to help you see DS needs so you can support him" act and cut to the "look I'm spelling it as you are a bunch of incompident morons who don't give a toss" no swearing or shouting ( I never would so I didn't say moron but it was the picture I painted) but there was enough sarcasm there to leave nothing to imagination. " you promised ds a unicorn on a stick yet you can't even change his books!"

Woops. Still if had to be said. Didn't make me feel any better either

greener2 Tue 27-Jan-15 21:20:55

2boysnamedR Tue 27-Jan-15 21:40:47

In reality it shouldn't as the money comes from the la but the problem is that it's totally up to them how they use it.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 27-Jan-15 22:15:46

Fwiw, greener I think educating the masses doesnt work for kids who sit outside the box if that makes sense.

Mainstream teachers are in the main utterly useless at spotting children who are "on the spectrum" and to be honest they dont spot it even when they are told that the child has a dx!!

Thinking about the dyslexia, Dd3 has been working with an EP who is well known for his work with dyslexia and he has found that her literacy difficulties are in the main caused by her specific communication difficulties, which are caused by her ASD, her poor writing is caused by her floppy joints which are caused by , guess what! The ASD!

It took until she was 9 to get Dd3 the diagnosis that she so clearly needed. Dont give up.

Stay strong flowers

zzzzz Tue 27-Jan-15 23:02:54

You could pop this under her door

senvet Wed 28-Jan-15 00:26:10

greener if you keep a diary and take video on your phone of your dc at home, it will be a lot harder for the school to deny. Make notes of what ds says and does.

They may think again when they see one or two weeks of the same behaviour on a video clip...

2boys You know I believe in trying the nicey nicey approach, but I obviously have not got around to saying that when that approach no longer works, and you have got everything out of someone that you can, the it is time to stick the knife in.

And turn it if necessary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: