Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

whats the time frame for IEP's to be reviewed?

(7 Posts)
Lesley25 Sat 24-Jan-15 19:29:01

Just that.
My ds's mainstream school keeps trying to do it every 3.5 months and I'm pushing back and saying at least every 6-8 weeks from the LAST meeting not from the point they're written up and given to me

fairgame Sat 24-Jan-15 19:40:41

It's usually once per term ime.
The new guidance states that schools should meet with parents at least 3 times per year to discuss SEN if there is no EHCP in place.

2boysnamedR Sat 24-Jan-15 19:41:18

Hmmm- ours was yearly at worse,termly at the very most. Termly I think is pretty standard. My son is in the worst 2% of sen in his school ( going on school numbers, those on sa, sa+ and statements) yet he still went regularly with one IEP per two terms. He had six now and I have only seen two with completed targets filled out

fairgame Sat 24-Jan-15 19:43:31

Paragraph 6.65 of the SENCOP says that where a pupil is receiving SEN Support, schools should talk to parents regularly, to set clear outcomes and review progress towards them. Schools should meet parents at least three times each year.
It doesn't specifically apply this to IEP's but you would probably expect them to look at the IEP if they are discussing SEN.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 24-Jan-15 19:58:03

IEP's dont technically exist under the new law lesley, that does not mean that the school do not have to set targets! They do but its under the new format of Assess, Plan,Do Review. You are supposed to be involved in the process and as fairgame says you should meet with staff at least 3 times per year.

Have a google of the new SEN code of practice 2014, you can scroll through it to read the bits that are relevant to you. Arm yourself with knowledge!

Good luck flowers

senvet Sat 24-Jan-15 19:59:23

But remember, the law says that you child's SEN must be met. so if your school needs something different from the policy then you can ask for it

If you don't ask you won't get.

Two things are popping into my head
1) good home school liaison can be essential for some SEN kids to allow progress/problems/successes etc to be shared between home and school so that progress is reinforced in the two environments

2) ieps are about a formal document reporting on targets met and shifting them on.

So if your dc is suddenly leaping ahead the extra IEPs sound sensible
They are a bunch of admin for the school, so you are more likely to get 'extra' ones if you take some of the admin burden off the school. Not easy though.

If you just need more regular updates then it need not be as formal as an IEP.

I fear I am teaching grandma to suck eggs, but as parents' instinct is so often right and you sound like you need more feedback, I hope it helps

Lesley25 Sun 25-Jan-15 06:49:18

Thanks everyone, my ds is also in that 2% bracket which means his Iep targets and strategies do need either moving on/or different strategies addressed- hence the increase in frequency.
Thanks again friends. I really do think of you all as in my "gang" that you all just magically appear behind me. It's really reassuring. Right then, I'll read up, arm myself with the sen code --and push back--smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: