Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Visual processing disorder/laptop

(9 Posts)
DancingDinosaur Fri 23-Jan-15 21:32:29

I'm reposting from SEN in the hope that theres more traffic here and someone can help.
My dd has been diagnosed with a visual processing disorder and hyper-mobility. She really struggles with writing. Because of this, it has been recommended that she uses a lap top for home and school so that she can get her ideas out more efficiently. The problem is shes only 7. What sort of laptop would be best? Obviously something light weight as she will be transporting it every day, but it needs to be robust. Because she's only 7! Arghh. Is it even possible to buy such a thing? Also, I need a child friendly program to learn touch typing. Any recommendations? Fingers crossed someone here has already been down the pitfalls of this path!!

senvet Fri 23-Jan-15 21:49:13

Touch Type Read and Spell is quite often used to teach touch typing to younger learners.
My dd is pretty much the same but sadly we got onto this later than you have, so well done.

Both dcs needed to learn for different reasons and both would have learnt with bad habits but for a touch typing tutor, dd learnt in small groups.

With laptops, the school had one that she could use there and that was easier than having the thing going to and fro.

As long as the work gets sent to an email address it is accessible from home.

My dd is older, but we did get a laptop for her to use for school work that had much longer battery life so it could last longer before it needed charging and could not readily support games social media etc. Otherwise her friends Facebook posts were popping up every time she tried to do homework,

Hope this helps

DancingDinosaur Fri 23-Jan-15 21:59:29

Thank you, thats brilliant. I don't think the school will have a laptop they can lend her. It could be a possibility that I could get something to just leave at the school. They probably would email work home I should think. The idea of an expensive laptop bumping around in her school bag does scare me. I'll have a look into touch type read and spell. Was the tutor something you organized outside of school or did the school organize that for you? Do you think its worth doing? I guess I could get a few lessons and see how it goes. I don't think dd's school would do that, but you never know.
Thanks again for replying.

senvet Sat 24-Jan-15 01:31:34

The school recommend the tutors who were independent, and one turned out to be linked indirectly to the Bedgebury Foundation which can help with the costs for reports, lessons etc for Kent/Sussex pupils.
The school knew full well that it would be a battle to get the LEA to pay, and that we had had a windfall (we got them a drum kit with it) so could pay.

dd was much better at learning - ds needed quite a lot of bribery to get through the modules, but it was well worth it.

DancingDinosaur Sat 24-Jan-15 10:12:09

Oh I know it would be a battle for the LEA to pay. I just want to get it sorted without wasting any more time fighting them. Luckily I've just gone full time at work, so I will be able to afford it for a little while.
Thanks so much for your help. Very much appreciated.

grassroots Sat 24-Jan-15 15:11:53

We were recommended to the BBC bite size programme 'Dance Mat Typing' - and my son loves it. Can't help with child-friendly laptops sadly - although would love to know any good recommendations!

DancingDinosaur Sun 25-Jan-15 09:11:35

Thanks grassroots, I'll have a look at that. I'll post back here if I find that perfect laptop!

Ineedmorepatience Sun 25-Jan-15 09:43:24

This is not a recommendation because I know nothing about them but Dd3 is just about to be given a Chromebook by her school (allegedly)! She is also hypermobile and it looks like we are giving up on writing!

The chromebooks are small and light apparently although the HT is a 6 ft 4 rugby player so his version of small and light may not match Dd3's but we will see.

Just thought I would mention it smile

DancingDinosaur Sun 25-Jan-15 11:04:37

Thanks Ineedmorepatience, I'll have a look at that too. Its a starting point anyway!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: