Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Refused DLA.

(17 Posts)
Madcatgirl Thu 22-Jan-15 13:13:13

Well there we go. Refused. Ds has dyspraxia/adhd/aspergers/hypermobile.

He cannot do all a NT child can, he needs more help in everyday activities, he needs access to computers for homework, his ed. Psych. Recommended music lessons, that's a tenner a week.

He cannot do things like buttons still. He gets pains through the night I have to be up for, in the last cant think how long I have had ONe full nights sleep. He's sitting out sports a lot at school because of his pains. God damn it!

I'm just so bloody frustrated! Why is everything a bloody fight!

frazzledbutcalm Thu 22-Jan-15 13:24:07

I applied for DLA for 3 of my children. 1 got it, the other 2 were refused. I didn't bother appealing as I couldn't understand the letter fully on how to appeal. I had too much going on with the care needed for them all that I just thought it was too much of a mountain. HOWEVER, I applied again 6 months later and they both were awarded mrc and lrm hmm
I'm annoyed that I lost that 6 months money for them, and annoyed that it just depends on who reads the form and how they interpret it! I also understand how easy it is to appeal now. So my advice is to appeal straight away!
I read somewhere that a mum had twin boys with identical care needs. She sent in a form for each of them which were identically worded. 1 was awarded DLA, the other refused! confused ... it really does depend on the person at the other end reading the form I think. It's wrong surely, but that's how it seems to be.
Good luck!

Madcatgirl Thu 22-Jan-15 14:47:41

I'm calling them literally as I type. It's stupid and bloody frustrating. My friends boy has undiagnosed ASD, but she got him DLA. It's so stupid, both boys have several additional needs requiring extra care so why one is granted and not the other is simply ludicrous!

I know she'll be furious on my behalf as we've been walking this road together.

senvet Thu 22-Jan-15 14:49:08

Hang in there. Don't let the bastards system get you down.
Sounds like it may be a case of 'if at first you don't succeed'.

Wishing you lots of hot chocolate/punch bags or whatever you need right now

fairgame Thu 22-Jan-15 15:37:29

Don't give up, it may just be as simple as not using the right type of wording on the form. Some local charities might be able to provide support to help you appeal.

chocnomorechoc Thu 22-Jan-15 16:01:39

reconsideration and then (if need be) appeal. happened to me too. Dd was awarded HRC on appeal but turned down twice before. very common story. just don't take no for an answer.

Madcatgirl Thu 22-Jan-15 16:38:31

It's gone for reconsideration. The very nice lady on the end of the phone too som,e extra details and told me that apparently at school he needs no extra assistance and never misses any of the normal activities. shockshock

She has now noted that in his school planner there are notes from his teachers detaining where he has missed sport and dance due to pain!

How long does it take for a reconsideration normally?

I'm starting a new fitness class tonight, so that'll help me feeling of world weariness,

chocnomorechoc Thu 22-Jan-15 16:44:51

I waited 8 weeks (and 11 weeks for the initial refusal). appealed as refused on revonsideration whivh took another 10 weeks. then got award. Dd is severely autistic, learning diffs and very little speech and language. full time 1:1at school and still haf to go down the appeal road. DLA decision are sometimes really random. just hang in there.

HatieKopkinsgob Thu 22-Jan-15 16:55:19

DWP hope that if they make it a battle we will give up, don't give up, ever.
I have ID twin DDs same ASD and learning disabilities, one got high for both, one got low for both. My DS who is more able than his sisters got high rate for both from aged 4 for twelve years, keep on trying

MeirAyaAlibi Thu 22-Jan-15 21:38:25

Reconsideration. Also check they haven't mixed up your DS case with someone else (it happens) and have logged all your pages of additional evidence.

It would be a shame to get refused at reconsideration just because the DWP scanner ate a crucial document...

typoqueen Thu 22-Jan-15 21:45:45

we had the same with my DD, I reapplied changing just one word that the CAB told me to change and that word is "sometimes" never use the word "sometimes" apparently (and it worked for me) you should use the word frequently when asked how many times? or how often?

Madcatgirl Thu 22-Jan-15 22:28:06

Thank you everyone. The Good news is my fitness class helped me clear my head wonderfully, so that's going to become a regular thing. I need to get out of the cycle of nothing but work, degree, form filling, meetings and fighting for support or I'm going to end up going a bit mad. I definitely need time to just zone on something outside of it all.

I'll keep you posted.

Madcatgirl Fri 23-Jan-15 20:56:44

I asked school today for a copy of the report they sent to DWP, they said they don't have one. I'll be asking Monday morning from the head directly. hmmconfused

Tunna Fri 23-Jan-15 22:46:50

Tell me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but my DS has a similar dx as yours, ASD, hypermobility & anxiety. I used the cerebra guide ( found on cerebra website) to fill out mine & was awarded HRC & LRM in December for 2 yrs.

The other advice that stuck with me was to describe a bad day, when you have to dress them because otherwise you'd be still there at lunchtime, the school refusals, the standing over them to ensure they wash their hair & teeth properly. All these things we do without thinking because it's second nature to us.

The final advice is that DLA is awarded on need NOT diagnosis. So rather than say 'my child cannot dress himself because of hypermobility, you say 'my child cannot dress himself because he has weak grip in his fingers as a result of hypermobility, his ASD and ADHD conditions exacerbrates this as either he gets very frustrated if things don't go right first time which then leads to meltdowns and refusal to try again, or he gets easily distracted and forgets the task in hand. I therefore spend 10 minutes 4 times a day getting him dressed and undressed.

Madcatgirl Sat 24-Jan-15 16:26:02

That's pretty much how I filled it in. I used the cerebra guide. Like others have said its just luck of the draw coupled with an incorrect report from school. Hopefully he'll get it on reconsideration.

frazzledbutcalm Sat 24-Jan-15 18:52:41

tunna ... you've just explained why I was refused first time round with dd1 and ds2! I didn't realise it, but what a difference your clever wise words make! When you live with this day after day it just becomes 'normal' to you .. seeing yours written down in that way has hit me like a brick. It sums up 1 of my dc exactly to a tee. How/why do we lose sight of that?

sambob73 Sun 25-Jan-15 07:23:59

here are two website that help you filling in the forms

www.cerebra.org.uk/English/Search/Pages/SearchResults.aspx?s=Cerebra_English&k=dla

www.cafamily.org.uk/know-your-rights/benefits-and-tax-credits/disability-living-allowance/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: