Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Behavioural optometrist, anyone been?

(8 Posts)
eosmum Mon 19-Jan-15 11:18:43

I've done a quick search and couldn't find any recent topics.

DD is currently attending a Behavioural optometrist on the recommendation of the OT. We are paying privately for this, in Ireland so only 2 available in the whole country. How long should this take and what improvements should I notice? She's very vague and as I have no option to see anyone else can't get another opinion. I can't afford it much longer and we have over an hours travel there and back for the appointment twice monthly. TIA for any help.

2boysnamedR Mon 19-Jan-15 11:35:22

Never personally been but a fellow Dcd mum did and said she was given exercises to do at home. She had a improvement which she was told was medically impossible after a month or two I think?

Could you email a optometrist in England, ask what they do? Like recommend stuff to do at home? Just to see if yours should be doing more?

Also ask your optimist ( sorry I'm dyslexic! ) the same thing. I think it should be like OT? In that they give you a program for home? I could be wrong

eosmum Mon 19-Jan-15 12:17:39

Sorry should have said he does get exercises to do daily, take about 30 mins, on top of his OT home program. He's been going since September but the only difference I can see is that he will wear his glasses where he wouldn't before. His writing has dis improved (since november) following an initial improvement in September and October.

I will email an optometrist in the UK and get some info that's a great idea thanks.

thincontroller Mon 19-Jan-15 13:56:28

Hello, I have just been to see a behavioural optometrist for my child, we start weekly exercises in February for 6 weeks, so I will let you know if it helps.

eosmum Tue 20-Jan-15 22:39:12

Could I just bump in case anyone has anything to add, thanks

senvet Tue 20-Jan-15 23:42:39

had exercises from this one to improve focusing skills.
It did improve, but some visual processing stuff remains, but readily manageable.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 21-Jan-15 22:36:16

Please try

Littlemisssunshine72 Wed 21-Jan-15 22:44:10

My son goes regularly, started off with floor exercises, now onto actual eye exercises. Can physically see the improvement in the muscles if the eye when following an object, can't say whether it's improved his actual reading as yet (although he hasn't mentioned words jumping around for a while-must remember to ask him). Our exercises take about 5 mins in morning and evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now