Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Help with a dilemma please(9 Posts)
I don't usually post here, but have gleaned so much of information and wisdom from all you amazing moms by just reading the forums.
I have a DS(6) whom I suspected of ASD from when he was a baby. He had his first NHS paediatric consultation roughly a year back and then one more last March. We were scheduled for a consult in Dec but generally things weren't moving anywhere and he was having loads of problems coping in school. So in Oct I arranged for a private consultation with a highly recommended( and expensive) paediatrician in London.However, in the Dec NHS consult we were told that his case would be discussed in the upcoming multidisciplinary committee meeting and it was most likely that we would be getting a official ASD diagnosis in March. My dilemma is whether to go ahead with the private consult considering we will be soon getting a diagnosis. We have saved the money for it but feel the 700+ could be better spent on some other interventions/ therapies. I am really in two minds. Does anyone have any thoughts which could help me make the decision ?
If you have the 700 to spare then I would go for it. If it's not money you can happily loose I would wait to see how the NHS path pans out. Nothing is stopping you going private at a later date
I agree with polter, if your Ds needs a dx then the sooner he gets it the better!
Whatever the diagnosis, you will be wanting to sort out provision for DC in the classroom, and ASD kids usually need input from an educational psychologist, a speech and language therapist, and in many cases, but definitely not all, a good sensory Occupational Therapist.
You will have gathered that there ia a performance to go through in some LAs, not all, to get these folk engaged, and to get specific input sorted out, and working.
The NHS OT and SALT can be very wishy washy in their recommendations, so you might feel it is worth costing an assessment and school visit from a good independent EP and SALT. If your DC has sensory issues eg hates noise, loves bright lights, can't stand seams on clothing etc etc, then a good independent sensory OT is a possibility, and they can also cover any issues with holding a pencil or cutlery, and any problems with getting fluent movement when walking etc.
You will have seen the parents who end up in Tribunal - a psychiatrist can be regarded by Tribunal Panel members ie the judges, to be insufficiently qualified to advise on classroom strategies - an Ed Psych is needed.
Hope this helps with the decision
Thank you 2boysnamedR, PolterGoose and Ineedmorepatience.
Yes, It is DK.
Thank you for your thoughts senvet, will definitely keep them in mind.
DS has been under NHS Speech and Language Therapy since last year. He is in Year 2 now. The school initially could not see it/ thought it was borderline. But they are beginning to see it now and have even arranged for an OT to see him this month. DS has noise sensitivity and absolutely cannot tolerate spicy food.
Thanks for the re-ponder PolterGoose.
Great that the SALT and OT are on the way. Sorry, I am far more involved with parents at the Tribunal end and fewer at this end so thoughts are a bit skewed by that.
The one that I find I am often asked is: I think I need to find the money for a solicitor to help with DC's Tribunal. When I chat to them a bit it is clear that their money would be better spent on expert reports. Of course the rich ones can afford both, but they don't usually stop me at the school gate!
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.