Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Melatonin- best answer? Tried everything!

(19 Posts)
greener2 Thu 08-Jan-15 21:45:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rainicorn Thu 08-Jan-15 21:50:38

There is no harm in trying melatonin. It's a natural substance everyone has in their system, and there are no harmful side effects.

Worth a try.

Ds2 uses it, he has had it since he was 4 and it helps a massive amount with his sleep. He is 9 now and he doesn't have it all the time now, he either asks for it if he knows he can't unwind or I can tell it's going to be a bad night and give him some.

zzzzz Thu 08-Jan-15 23:10:19

We have the same issue. My boy is STILL jumping (he's 9). It's very hard isn't it? No evening. Not enough sleep. Tired in the daytime. The feeling of failing them....... I am trying to up exercise and food intake, but yes, melatonin is an option if this try fails. sad

greener2 Fri 09-Jan-15 07:17:14

millimoohoo Fri 09-Jan-15 10:08:38

I use melatonin which has been great at getting my ds to drift off to sleep without meltdowns, it doesn't keep him asleep though and he can wake up again 2 hours later sad I still find it useful, it gives me some much needed wind down time before I go to bed , I'd give it a go ..good luck !

hazeyjane Fri 09-Jan-15 10:13:50

If you want to try melatonin, you will have to get the initial prescription from a paed, the repeats can come from a gp (although some are reluctant to do repeats).

It has transformed ds's sleep, and his development (IMO) - he used to be awake all evening, overtired, spinning, laughing manically, but rubbing his eyes and floppy, he would eventually sleep around 10/11. Sometimes we would have to take him out in his buggy because he was making so much noise he would wake the dds. He would then sleep badly because of his reflux, and then wake at around 4. He was a wreck, who just wanted to cuddle and flop all day.

Since the melatonin, he sleep around 7, usually wakes once in the night, and is still up at 4, but the sleep he is getting is of much better quality (he used to be very twitchy), and he has tonnes more energy during the day.

blossbloss Fri 09-Jan-15 10:14:01

After a long time of resisting the idea of using Melatonin we started using it with both DCs in October and it has made life at home infinitely better. Both DCs have ASD and ADHD and were awake until all hours, and frequently up and down the stairs, ruining our evenings and limiting the hours of sleep they got.

Both DCs are now asleep within 30 minutes or so of taking it and DS who used to be awake by 5 now sleeps through until 7 Ish. Both of them are getting around 10 hours sleep each night with no ill effects the next day.

We source a liquid form of it via the Internet but are meeting with CAMHS soon to arrange to get it on prescription. Because We use the liquid form it isn't slow release but it still seems to keep DS asleep until a reasonable hour.

Tunna Fri 09-Jan-15 11:34:24

Melatonin saved my sanity.

DS would be really anxious going to sleep, and when he got there he'd be twitching, tossing, fidgeting, rolling up and down the bed etc. it was if his nervous system was out of sync.

The melatonin has reduced this by about 90% and now he's asleep within the hour. Even more remarkable, he now asks for his melatonin and wants to go asleep, come 8.30 hrs tucked up and content.

The only side effects seem to be that he felt more thirsty in the first week and said he felt a bit weird after taking it but that soon stopped.

I was prescribed it over the phone by my paed following a quick chat. We're around 4 months in and all good so far smile

greener2 Fri 09-Jan-15 14:33:20

hazeyjane Fri 09-Jan-15 14:35:04

I think your gp, should be able to get a letter/email from a paed authorising the prescription. Our gp offered to do this, but we happened to be seeing our paed the day after she offered (she is pretty amazing gp though!)

blossbloss Fri 09-Jan-15 14:44:44

You should be able to get some over the Internet easily enough. We have managed to get the liquid form that way. If that works the GP may be amenable to prescribing it maybe?

zzzzz Fri 09-Jan-15 14:55:25

The Internet isn't a good way of purchasing drugs.

Go to your GP and get them to prescribe.

PolterGoose Fri 09-Jan-15 15:11:11

Tunna Fri 09-Jan-15 15:12:59

I agree with zzzzz about not getting it over the Internet, it's your DS's health at stake and you need to be monitored to know as and when to increase / decrease the dose or identify any other issues that cause be causing sleep issues.

Also note that melatonin doesn't work for everyone, studies have shown however that many children with neurological disorders don't produce as much melatonin as NT children do. My DS has ASD by the way.

When I saw my GP he refused point blank to even consider it, (apparently it's very expensive) but said he would defer to my paediatrician, who thankfully did. I'd also been having sleep problems with DS for a long time, which was in his medical history. I don't want to give you false hope that it's just a case of making an appointment with the GP.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

hazeyjane Fri 09-Jan-15 16:04:00

GPs are not able to do the initial prescription without a paed's instructions. It is a very expensive drug to prescribe, especially the liquid form, and I know of some people who have to pick their prescriptions from the hospital.

It doesn't work for some children, as it is all to do with melatonin production. My friend's ds is a terrible sleeper, but melatonin does nothing for him at all.

The trouble with buying it over the internet is that you have no idea of the strength, or safety of the product. You can buy natural melatonin in health food shops, but the level (about that of a banana's worth) would do nothing for ds.

greener2 Fri 09-Jan-15 17:53:11

zzzzz Fri 09-Jan-15 17:54:02

You can buy it in Spain from a pharmacist (anecdotally). Giving your child drugs shoes providence is unknown is too gung-ho IMO. The Internet is not regulated, so it could be absolutely anything. sad

See your GP and ask how you could access this therapy.

If he eats well kiwi fruit an hour before bedtime will stimulate natural production of the "sleep hormones".

Should your GP not be helpful, I would get it through an EU pharmacist (ie drive to the continent) rather than any other route.

hazeyjane Fri 09-Jan-15 18:01:31

It is an over the counter purchase in the US as well.

greener2 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:03:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now