Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

We have put forward for camhs, help with form

(8 Posts)
2boysnamedR Wed 07-Jan-15 21:01:19

Not holding out much hope they will be much good after my gp said they are so over streached they only deal with suicidal kids now.

Ds has Dcd. Flappy, tip toe walking sensory issues, lang disorder and generally quirky. Suspect asd but zero luck getting anywhere with assessment - he's 7

Any ideas what to write in the reasons for referral section? They can't assess for asd anyway?

He is overly dependent on his brother at the moment and his brother is involved in 99% of any anger issues. This week that's been because he left him in the loo, he got up before him, he was playing on iPad, he left the bedroom ( you get the picture)

He can be very compulsive but at the moment his only major concern is still walking out into roads ( almost got killed today). Also arguments over who sits where in the car. He could flip out over anything anytime but generally doesn't as we avoid confrontations pretty well.

PolterGoose Wed 07-Jan-15 21:31:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2boysnamedR Wed 07-Jan-15 22:18:45

I'm not sure I do need camhs input. I need the asd assessment, but that's never going to happen unless I can get it via his younger brothers pead ( ds pead is not entertaining me at all, toddlers pead is better and on NAS website).

I was telling OT how different school and me see ds. I know him well so I manage him well. We get by and he's a happy kid ( mostly - can explode but after his worse meltdown 1.5 years ago I decided then to not confront him). He is disciplined, maybe pandered too but I don't see treating him as a bog standard child is a option for us. At all. Not unless we all want to be miserable.

Ot said maybe the difference between home / school is a boundary thing. She said shes not saying I don't have boundaries but they are tigher at school, then mentioned camhs. I am if the "holding it in at school" camp personally

I could have really done with them about a year ago as he almost killed himself jumping out my car whilst I was driving. Pushed his baby bro down the stairs and bend his legs back behind his head. None of it was in malice. He didn't see any danger.

I am ok with them saying it's me. It's not me. Considering what I cope with I have things running ok. I would brush that off. I have professionals involved in the kids life's who see me chew up and spit out professionals who cross me. So I when I say I'm ok with it, I guess I mean they couldn't make it stick.

My long term goal is the asd assessment but it can't ever happen while school say he is fine. Maybe if we win the tribunal they will be safe to open up, but that alone is a gamble.

Not sure if any of this makes sense?

PolterGoose Wed 07-Jan-15 22:24:07

2boysnamedR Thu 08-Jan-15 00:13:10

He has a nhs pead who will not entertain asd dispite more and more evidence and people saying they think he had aspie ( sorry can't spell that). I think that because he's had a few people say no it's not asd early one, she is blinkered to looking further if he has the correct dx. I think he's complex but just fitted better at the time as Dcd.

Private is the next step. After the verdict on the statement and once the toddler has his appointment with the pead who is the autism expert in our area.

Tbh I don't think camhs will take the referral up. Maybe just as well

sweetteamum Thu 08-Jan-15 10:25:53

Even though camhs can't entertain the asd assessment could you not state some asd traits that are affecting him ie massive issues with anxiety, no danger awareness, need for routine. Does he have explosive behavior?

once camhs realise it's not mental health in itself then you've tickdd off another professional and hopefully they give you some ideas as to the way they think you could go - hopefully asd assessment and maybe even a referral to appropriate person

bbkl Thu 08-Jan-15 12:09:16

sweetteamum Thu 08-Jan-15 12:32:09

Bbkl put it way better than me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now