Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Parent facing SN pushchair suggestions needed please.

(4 Posts)
NinePeedles Wed 07-Jan-15 15:18:09

Can anyone recommend a parent facing pushchair suitable for a 5 yr old?
It needs to have a good sized strong parcel shelf to carry medical equipment.
Our pushchair is on it's last legs and I want to be prepared as although technically ds is a walker (discharged by physio) in practice he is a refuser who wil lie down on the pavement or have a meltdown.
I cannot manage to carry him and 7.5k of medical equipment.
Have any of you been provided with wheels when your child could walk, or have you had to fund it yourself?

senvet Wed 07-Jan-15 19:04:13

My friend got help for a trike for her SN DD from the Beckham's Charity. It is Posh and Beck's charity and run by a team including Mrs Beckham senior.

Might be worth a shot

Everydayaschoolday Wed 07-Jan-15 20:27:57

DD2 can walk and got her wheels (wheelchair) a couple of weeks ago. She has CP, and at 3.5 has been able to walk short distances for about a year. However her pace is much slower than the typical and she tires quickly. Wheelchair services (who offered us a choice between the wheelchair and a SN buggy) said they had lots of customers who were occasional users after I described that we wouldn't be using the wheelchair all the time, and they still had absolutely no qualms about supporting us. I'd ask for a referral from your paediatrician. Hope this helps OP.

NinePeedles Thu 08-Jan-15 11:36:04

Thanks for your replies.
We are seeing Paed soon so can ask then. I am thinking of asking for an OT referral, or wheelchair services. I cannot be the only parent with this problem.
The trike is not suitable; I need something parent facing in which I can also carry the medical equipment, but I will have a look at the charity in case they do other options though, thank you.
It is reassuring that you got help Every when your dd can walk. I have seen one pushchair that fits the bill but it is over £1700! My ds gets the higher dla so hopefully that will count for something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now