Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Tribunal verdict is .....

(17 Posts)
2boysnamedR Tue 06-Jan-15 22:35:45

.....Indefinitely delayed due to Christmas.....

.... In case anyone was wondering.

billiejeanbob Tue 06-Jan-15 22:40:33

sad how long have you been waiting? The wait is horrendous isn't it?

bjkmummy Tue 06-Jan-15 22:42:48

at this rate we will be getting our verdicts together :-( really hope it comes through quickly as you've been waiting nearly a month already

2boysnamedR Tue 06-Jan-15 22:52:09

It will be a month on Friday. I don't even think a date has been set for a discussion about making the desision. I had two cold sweat moments today when your blood runs cold thinking you have mucked up. Once when I doubted I sent in my final statement, then when sendist said "didn't you read your email?"

It's not too bad as really either way it's probably decided in theory now, but it never gets to be the point where it's over. Been almost 1.5 years doing this yet I still have no answers :0/

Bilberry Tue 06-Jan-15 23:57:16

Reminds me of a story about a judge who was criticised by his colleagues for making decisions too quickly; he still made the decision as quickly but left it in the drawer for three months... I suspect tribunal decisions are made before you have even left the building. I hope they get their act together quickly for you.

senvet Wed 07-Jan-15 01:07:19

I wonder if they spend more time checking and cross checking the judgements to make sure they are not easy to appeal? It must be pretty embarrassing to have messed up and to find your decision has been reversed later.
I am hoping that this is vaguely comforting as some LAs have a reputation for routinely appealing.
Fingers and toes all crossed for you

bjkmummy Wed 07-Jan-15 07:10:48

I think they panel have usually made their mind up as you leave the building - the meeting will be for them to write the decision as they are pretty detailed and they carefully explain why they have come to their decision and to stop I guess an appeal later on but it is frustrating how long some families have to wait but when you see the decision you will understand why it takes them some time. I would keep phoning them so phone back next week and see whats happening. the admin people themselves will also be chasing it as well.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 07-Jan-15 07:37:37

Noooo sad Oh 2boys I really feel for you, that is awful!! They could have told you that was a possibility, Christmas happens every year after all hmm

2boysnamedR Wed 07-Jan-15 09:28:03

The judge said it would be this week so it would have been better to be told there was a possibility that wouldn't be the case.

Yes my la gave strong hints he would appeal if we won. Been told that he type who does :0(

He was banging on on the day about putting complaints in about everything that happened on the day.

billiejeanbob Wed 07-Jan-15 10:26:42

2 boys my LA also insisted that they would appeal if the Judge ordered our requested provision. They also told the panel that they were not prepared to fund the therapies under any circumstances.
They did not appeal the decision (the Judge ordered all of our requested provision to be included in statement! ). The decision was so detailed and reasons were given for every change made to the statement.
I think that if the LA were to appeal, the appeal will only be allowed to be made if the decision is unlawful or not explained and reasoned (which hopefully it will be!).

senvet Wed 07-Jan-15 14:18:09

If the other side was banging on at tribunal about complaining and appealing, the that explains the delay. They will be checking and cross checking the wording carefully. I hope.

Obviously one of them may have gone off sick, or there may have been a hard drive crash, who knows?

But if they thought there would be complaints, then they will probably taking a lot of extra care.

2boysnamedR Wed 07-Jan-15 15:04:28

Unfortunately my la rep has turned out to be notorious dirty player. I wonder if the tribunal know this too?

Hope it's good news. More overthinking now

senvet Wed 07-Jan-15 19:13:37

Are you based in the South East?

2boysnamedR Wed 07-Jan-15 21:02:52

Yes I am

Icimoi Wed 07-Jan-15 21:48:50

It's always worth bearing in mind when LAs bang in about appealing that it's not as simple as that. There's a little matter of getting permission to appeal to be dealt with first.

StarlightMcKenzee Wed 07-Jan-15 21:56:10

'Yes my la gave strong hints he would appeal if we won. Been told that he type who does :0(

He was banging on on the day about putting complaints in about everything that happened on the day.'

The tactics of some LA reps is to try and convince the panel that THEIR easiest path is to side with them rather than the parent. A kind of warning that if they don't say the LA wins then their work will increase and they'll definitely me made to defend their decision.

If they have any sense they will defend their decision proactively in advance, causing a likely small delay. Hopefully that is what it is.

2boysnamedR Wed 07-Jan-15 22:34:05

I was told that the LA rep would want to appeal but it would have to be over a legal issue. I doubt he had looked into the case enough to even know what my issue was, forget case law.

He was 100% playing me off as lier. That was his only defence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now