Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Feeling very overwhelmed!

(4 Posts)
Dontstepinthecowpat Tue 06-Jan-15 09:34:04

Hi everyone,

I've delved in and out of the SN board since first having concerns about DD but feel we've reached the stage that we need more support and I know it won't be forth coming from any HCP.

DD is 2.5, no diagnosis - CP mentioned in passing. She has around 15 words, saw SALT last month due for review next month - advised to start Makaton with the advice to 'watch Mr Tumble'.

She has been walking since 17 months, extremely clumsy and can't walk outdoors - physio diagnosed hypotonia but she's meeting all milestones so couldn't help further. Physio referred to orthotics for ankle support who said she didn't need them and just to buy a good support boot.

Community pead has said she has one of the lowest muscle tones she has ever seen in a walking child and has referred to ortho surgeons to check for hip dysplasia.

Not quite sure what I'm looking for but a good reference point for me to write it all down and check back.

Thanks for reading if you gig this far thanks

BigBird69 Tue 06-Jan-15 13:10:54

Hi, just wanted to acknowledge your post! My son has cp but was formally diagnosed as a baby having had a stroke at birth. Does your child go to a nursery yet?

Dontstepinthecowpat Tue 06-Jan-15 16:17:47

Thanks Bigbird, I'm not great at explaining myself. The reason I'm overwhelmed as all these different health professionals have lots of opinions but no ideas, suggestions to how I can help. I guess up until now she was like the majority of toddlers but now the gap is widening I cms see how much help she will need and don't know where to start.

Her pushchair is in it's last legs and I need to buy a new one, I can't decide which would be best/how long she will need it etc.

I've been filing out firms for nursery and other groups and didn't know what to put in the medical condition box. I just feel like I know nothing.

How is your son? DD had meconium aspiration and a poorly managed birth. I suspected from the minute she was born she was different, amazing and perfect, extremely fiery too grin

BigBird69 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:45:48

I feel for you. I have always found the hardest part being the unknown and because my son is "different" there is nobody in my circle of friends or family who have any experience of anything similar. I viewed a few nurseries and chose one where I felt the staff would support me as much as my son. He ended up staying there until he was five as we deferred him starting school and they were very helpful at pointing me in the right direction and making referrals etc, so definitely worth your while doing some research and looking at a few. I would also make sure you get to as may appointments as you can so you are "in the system" it is frustrating but having had a solid "history" helped a lot with getting our son a statement later on when it turned out he has learning difficulties. I hope you get some answers soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now