Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Nail cutting nightmare

(10 Posts)
cansu Mon 05-Jan-15 19:48:28

Dd has always disliked this but she is now categorically refusing to have her nails cut. Last few times have been v difficult and this time, I ended up catching skin as she pulled away while I was trying to cut it. Obviously this has now made it worse and she will not let me finish other hand. Problem is school will undoubtedly make a massive fuss as they are always asking me to trim them even when they are quite short as she will try to scratch when in a temper. What would you do? They just don't get how hard it is and I am not sure how to handle it. My current strategy is to remove pressure but at same time remove iPad until she accepts to have them done. I am not sure what else to do tbh. She is v stubborn and also understandably even more stressed because I ended up accidentally cutting skin when I tried last time! Help!

zzzzz Mon 05-Jan-15 19:58:48

Do it everyday, but barely cut them.

In the meantime nail file/sand pit/scratching sand paper (that gives me the shiver!)

reader108 Mon 05-Jan-15 20:31:13

Always struggled with nail cutting especially toes. Can usually bribe persuade encourage fingers although it's failed last 2 times! Sit on hold tight and poke up with screaming for toes. It's part of his sensory issues IT REALLY hurts however nails can't be left to grow. Struggle with haircuts the same way each and every hair HURTS. Done A LOT of work he has it done with clippers now only fast as possible, usually we all get through unscathed!

PolterGoose Mon 05-Jan-15 21:48:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Borka Mon 05-Jan-15 21:50:12

Would she be able to do them herself with clippers? I've ended up letting my DS clip his own fingernails most of the time (he can't manage toenails) - being in control of it seems to make it much more bearable for him.

cansu Mon 05-Jan-15 22:05:28

Thanks both for sympathy and suggestions. feel strangely relieved that it is not just me being inadequate. I have two dc with Asd and have therefore plenty of experience of all this crap but feel overwhelmed at how hard everything is at the moment. I am going to try some more bribery. I drew picture for her of one nail then iPad. She definitely understood but has so far stuck to her guns and said no. Will keep going and will maybe try putting soft play as reward at weekend. ( I hate this so she doesn't get to go too often!). just wish that something could be straight forward for once.

PolterGoose Mon 05-Jan-15 22:09:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tethersend Mon 05-Jan-15 22:27:04

Could you do it when she's asleep?

zzzzz Mon 05-Jan-15 22:31:41

Ds does it more willingly in the bath, or just before/after. He really likes baths though.

blanklook Mon 05-Jan-15 23:23:51

Seconded for in/straight after a bath as the nails are so soft then, there's much less sensation and no 'snap' noise from the nail itself when it is being cut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now