Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EHCP. Is it worth applying?

(9 Posts)
Acciosanity Sun 04-Jan-15 11:33:37

DS 7 has AS. His behaviour at school is not a concern, as in he's quiet and withdrawn and causes the teacher no trouble. He holds it all in for me when I pick him up.

Anyway after a meeting a couple of months ago when I said we couldn't carry on as we were school have, to be fair, implemented support for him. He has social skills group sessions and is on the Elsa scheme. He also has a hone school diary.

He has no statement or EHCP, school just do this off their own back. My worry is they could withdraw this support at any time as it's not on paper anywhere that they have to do it.

My question is do we apply for one or leave it? Educationally he's fine, he gets good marks is very bright so they've already told us an Ed Psych wouldn't be appropriate.

He has calmed down at home since they've put the support in place I just worry if it was taken away we'd go back to daily violent meltdowns after school. We still get them just not as frequently as before.

Acciosanity Sun 04-Jan-15 15:48:40

Anyone??

fairgame Sun 04-Jan-15 16:04:11

Are school keeping track of the support via an IEP? They should be so that they can evaluate and change it if necessary.
If he is bright and doing ok at school then it's unlikely they will give you an EHCP and also if what the school is implementing is working and can be met with their own budgets and resources then the LA won't want to issue an EHCP.
The LA's aren't bothered about how the kids are at home all they care about is saving as much money as possible!
Is their any outreach or support groups that can help you deal with the meltdowns at home?

Acciosanity Sun 04-Jan-15 16:56:43

Yes he has an IEP.

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, I'll leave it then.

senvet Sun 04-Jan-15 22:19:32

I have heard people call this the 'coca cola bottle' syndrome. Kids who behave well at school, but it is such a strain for them to keep it all together at school that the melt downs happen at home where they know you will always be there for them. (picture the bottle being shaken at school and the lid coming off at home).

In these cases it IS possible to convince the LA, or at least a Tribunal Panel, that the cause of home-meltdowns is actually things that are happening at school, and not poor parenting at home.

The fact that you have a clear link between the introduction support at school and a reduction of meltdowns at home makes me wonder if there is any more input at school that would help reduce the meltdowns further....

SALT was a great place to start, but I wonder if you have seen any signs of sensory issues? Lots of AS kids have them and lots don't!

Those that do may find it harder to concentrate because the environment is not ideal for them. Over sensitivity to noise is pretty common (with break times and lunch times being more stressful than class), and also unusual responses to touch. And I heard recently of some AS kids who needed to lift heavy objects, or do a few press ups, to keep in a calm alert state to learn. Therapy can help - those kids would be struggling to concentrate if the OT hadn't picked it up. And as usual it is a case of early intervention so the kids can learn self-moderation and build it into their day.

The other thing on the mental check list, again for an OT, is dyspraxia-type things that make it harder to do PE or sit for long periods or hold a pencil, or avoid bumping into things. Again, an OT is the person for the job. It can be amazing to see the improvements brought about by providing a writing slope for some kids.

In some ways I am hoping that none of this rings bells, and you will not have to start trying to get hold of a sensory OT. And another part of me is hoping that OT provision will chase away the last of the melt downs.

fingers crossed for you

Acciosanity Sun 04-Jan-15 22:24:44

Yes he does have sensory issues. He tells me he can't concentrate when everyone is talking. I know bright lights bother him too.
We haven't seen an OT we've not really seen anyone. SALT went into school to set up the social skills group, that's it.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 05-Jan-15 08:01:25

I agree with senvet It is possible to get a child who isnt causing any issues at school assessed. It may involve going to tribunal though so be prepared for the long haul.

Now is a great time to start the ball rolling so that something is in place before the end of primary.

I would go to your GP and request referals to SALT and OT. While you are waiting, download a copy of the sensory checklist off the internet and start filling it in yourself to get a picture of what his sensory issues are and keep a diary of difficulties he has, what causes them (if you know) and how you manage them. Also make notes about any support he is getting at school, what works and what doesnt.

The pop bottle thing is really common, our children hold in their stresses all day and then when they see us (a safe person) they release the lid !

Good luck whatever you decide flowers

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 05-Jan-15 13:13:23

I would apply for a EHCP and now as well. This is because you also have to think longer term i.e. secondary school and beyond. Children with additional needs who are both quiet and compliant in class (his ways of coping with the school day) often get missed out and or ignored by schools.

Inform yourself properly re EHCPs and look at IPSEA's website for more information www.ipsea.org.uk. These are given on the basis too of need of one, not diagnosis. He may well be bright but he is clearly not reaching his full potential.

IEP is not known as "individual empty promise" for nothing and it sounds like his school is failing him. Your first paragraph is a clear indication in its own right that his needs at school are simply not being met despite him having a social skills group and Elsa scheme.

You are his best - and only - advocate here.

2boysnamedR Mon 05-Jan-15 13:45:37

Even if you decide not to chase a ehcp, there's a lot you could do the get the ball rolling if needed later. Dairy of his behaviours and conversations with the school etc.

A ep isn't just to get iq / nc levels. They should go in and observe behaviours etc too.

School love to fob off / filter out parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now