Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone with experience with Sibylle Janert?

(10 Posts)
rampra Thu 01-Jan-15 18:47:44

Hi there,

We are thinking of bringing in Sibylle Janert to help our 21 month old son who is developmentally delayed.

She is quite expensive, and I am trying to find out if its worth the cost. Despite her numerous articles/websites etc I am struggling to find anyone sharing experiences of her approach online!

Would be very grateful if anyone could share their experiences of working with her!

MeirAyaAlibi Thu 01-Jan-15 22:24:19

You can do a lot more good by educating yourself than by bringing an expensive outsider in for a brief period. And with the savings, you can can hire a student or childcare worker to help teach your child.

The website looks fine. But in general, really good programmes try to spread their knowledge far and wide. Look at the Hanen speech-language materials (it takes two to talk) or the early stage Denver model manuals. Simple Steps online learning for ABA is excellent as well.

MeirAyaAlibi Thu 01-Jan-15 22:29:12

The DIR floortime approach she uses can be learned online

If you were going to invest a lot of £ in a consultant, I'd say get started now with the basics, & use the expert to troubleshoot specific areas, once you know which bits aren't going well. No business would hire a top-end management consultant to do their basic staff inductions.

MeirAyaAlibi Thu 01-Jan-15 22:35:01

Poltergoose pointed me to this free resource a while back

Portage, ICAN, and Cerebra have helpful websites. This board is a fount of knowledge about how to tackle mist issues.

And this is worth thinking about - private therapies are expensive

adrianna22 Fri 02-Jan-15 22:21:19 this website is EXCELLENT- if you are looking for free resources- though you would have to pay for her DVDS and manuals.

rampra Fri 02-Jan-15 23:22:51

Thank you both for the excellent links. There is so much out there it can be a bit mind boggling at times, but these links look wonderful and right what I am looking for!

Thanks again!

MeirAyaAlibi Sat 03-Jan-15 15:10:40

Some LAs give you 15 hours of nursery education for a child with SEN- from age 24 months. For example

If you want your dc to get a HESC plan, Google IPSEA to download request letters, & post on here for advice on how to apply. Portage is often excellent to get started with.

And DLA (which isn't means tested) varies in rate but is likely to give you up to £50/ week to put towards the costs of SEN/ disability- again, there's advice on here re applying

rampra Sun 04-Jan-15 22:41:44

Thank you so much MeirAyaAlibi.

Would a Global Developmental Delay actual qualify as a SEN?

Also our physio has mentioned Portage, but at the same time dismissed it as something we would not qualify for, which has been quite frustrating for us. I always assumed this was something we had to have a referral for - is this something we could contact ourselves?

babiki Mon 05-Jan-15 18:19:23

Global delay is certainly SEN, my son has the same diagnosis, we were informed about applying for DLA when he was 2.

Don't know about Portage, sorry, we don't have them in our area.

MeirAyaAlibi Wed 07-Jan-15 23:59:48

Yes, you can contact portage yourself, the national organisation should know if there's an offshoot in your area and you can ring them.

If they want a formal referral, you can ask them who to get it from (if GP or health visitor will do, that might be quicker than the paediatrician)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: