Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

recieved DLA award today depressed and confused

(31 Posts)
reader108 Wed 31-Dec-14 21:26:28

Originally applied Feb 2013 which was refused, at appeal in Sept 2013 got mid rate care. This was a renewal sent mid Oct so 10 week turn around! Been given high rate care and low rate mobility for 4 years rather than the 2 previously. This doubles the amount we receive every week. Sorry Ds has a diagnosis of Asperger's.
Feel crap wouldn't say his problems are worse before. Guess it's my issue not theirs but feel like ringing saying I don't want it.
Just low I guess that people in an office somewhere think he's worse than before. We go to tribunal 12th Jan so feeling low anyway!

fairgame Wed 31-Dec-14 21:43:38

Don't take it to heart. DLA seem to be very very inconsistent with the rates they award. I could have been that you were entitled to HRC before and they just didn't award it properly. The difference between HRC and MRC AFAIK is that you have to provide some sort of night time care for HRC. I know a child who is ms school with no SEN statement that gets HRC. It's very odd how they work it all out.

reader108 Wed 31-Dec-14 21:55:11

Thanks he is in ms school at present till 12th Jan! Does need a lot of settling at night. Average night is 6 hours broken sleep for all. Offered medication for him, but not sure as he appears unaffected during the day. Just everything is far to much for me at present. Had really good hols without school stress couple of wobbles over Christmas, but on whole VERY good.

fairgame Wed 31-Dec-14 22:21:51

Well if you're doing all that at night then you should probably have been on HRC anyway. Are you going for a ss in january? Ds started at an indie ss in september and its made a huge difference to him. It's definitely worth it.

reader108 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:50:17

Decent teaching don't care where it comes from! Actually todays reaction has confused me maybe I do care more then I think. Ed Psych report average or above intelligence bottom group for everything same reading level last 24 months!
TO stressed there to learn? However school say good Ds manages well no problems!!!
He's favourite saying apparently 'Mum showed me like this' really pees his teachers off. Feel 'they' have written him off so long as he is quiet all good.

Tunna Fri 02-Jan-15 11:15:13

You probably know this but just in case, remember to let tax credits know as the HRC qualifies you for the severe disability premium as well.

I understand your feelings perfectly. For me it was a wake up call that the things DS struggles with are not normal, even though it seems normal to us as we've been dealing with it for years. flowers

Indantherene Fri 02-Jan-15 11:25:50

I was in the same boat with DS2 many years ago. I swung between feeling guilty we were getting the money because "he isn't that bad" and sad/jealous of other families when I realised that- compared to their children- he WAS that bad.

My DD2 (Y3) has also been assessed by Ed Psych as off-the-charts intelligent, yet is in the bottom sets for everything and really struggling at school. You are not alone, but it is shit. flowers

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:40

Thanks getting it in to perspective thought it would be a fight like the rest of life! Don't get tax credits but might look at work hours as permanently knackered at the moment.

Thanks getting it in to perspective thought it would be a fight like the rest of life! Don't get tax credits but might look at work hours as permanently knackered at the moment.

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:41

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:42

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:42

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:43

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:46

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:47

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:48

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:49

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:50

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:50

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:54:51

reader108 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:56:42

Wish I understood computers!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now