Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First pediatrician appointment

(7 Posts)
Wozald1989 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:25:38

Just wondering what happens at the first appointment? What are peoples experiences with it?
My 6 year old has her first appointment in a couple of weeks and I have been sent lots of questionaires regarding conduct, social communication, hyperkinetic and general history

Babieseverywhere Tue 30-Dec-14 11:47:19

Lots of talking while they watched DS....then a long wait for the onward referrals and written reports.

Everything seems to move so slowly? We have just got a date for an ados after a year of appointments, questionaires and reports.

You might find things move faster of school are supporting your child.

Wozald1989 Thu 01-Jan-15 10:23:03

Thanks for the reply, yes school are supportive, you are right about things moving slowly, she has also been referee to camhs who I haven't heard from yet

PolterGoose Thu 01-Jan-15 14:16:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wozald1989 Thu 01-Jan-15 16:33:04

What sort of basic checks? She's not usually compliant with any kind of doctor/dentist ect

PolterGoose Thu 01-Jan-15 16:36:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tunna Fri 02-Jan-15 09:45:56

At our appointment the paed asked him to carry out a number of simple tasks; to walk in a line toe to heel, to see if he could get undressed & dressed without support, checked for hypermobility, chest, and throat, ears, weight and height. Asked him a few questions to see what his comprehension & understanding was and asked him to draw a picture to see what pen grip was like.

The rest of the appointment was directed at me with questions around family history, birth, early development and then specific questions to do with social communication, his strengths & difficulties and specific issues such as routines, interests, diet, sleeping, stimming etc.

In total it took 2 hours. I recommend you take someone with you so they can take your DD off to the cafe whilst you talk with the paed.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now