Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fed up of waiting

(9 Posts)
MonkeyPuzzler Sat 27-Dec-14 19:54:56

I am waiting for:
EHCP draft - should have been early December
DLA decision - 2.5 months and counting
Multi disciplinary assessment - 6 months for DS to reach minimum age at which they assess then another 18 weeks for an appointment.
I'm sure everyone here feels the same. It's so frustrating !

sweetteamum Sat 27-Dec-14 19:59:22

I hear you. Everything has a waiting list. And I've found (from personal experience) that these people wait till your in crisis point before sticking to timescales and meeting our child's needs.

Cynical? Me? Yes! envy

bjkmummy Sun 28-Dec-14 09:29:18

know the feeling but my list is slowly being ticked off

DLA decision - took for me 11 weeks in the end
Draft EHCP received - absolutely dire....... need to ensure they name elder sons special school in it otherwise possible tribunal........
tribunal in 4 weeks times time ( 3rd one in under 2 years ....)
awaiting report from my sons year 6 AR and whether the LA will name the school for year 7 - otherwise tribunal again......

tribunal seems to be a constant theme for me and all of the deadlines that brings - im convinced that every decision the LA is making is to cause m maximum stress with the oncoming tribunal so the plan is I guess to try and force us into crisis - nice - I have 3 children with SEN so it never ever ends

MonkeyPuzzler Sun 28-Dec-14 10:53:46

Thanks for your replies. I totally agree about them waiting till you hit crisis point. Hopefully I will hear about DLA soon but I won't hold my breath about EHCP as it seems likely the draft will be dire anyway.

MostHighlyFlavouredLady Sun 28-Dec-14 12:09:37

You know you can jump waiting lists by writing/calling right?

Not fair or a reasonable way for any system to work but that's the way it does.

You can also jump nhs waiting lists by paying privately. Also unfair but the way things are.

My baby ds was due to see the SALT. I called them after 3 months and they told me he was nowhere near the top of waiting list and to expect another 3 months, but since I was concerned enough to phone they'd fit him in next week. hmm

MostHighlyFlavouredLady Sun 28-Dec-14 12:11:48

Of those you have listed I would not accept the NHS one. Have you got it in writing that there is a minimum age? Have you got the waiting list time in writing?

I suspect not, because both woukd go against NICE recommendations.

Put both in writing yourself and ask them to clarify that is what they have told you.

Dipankrispaneven Sun 28-Dec-14 16:24:00

Re the draft EHCP, write to them setting out chapter and verse re the deadlines and say you need the draft by, say, 6th Jan or you'll be applying for judicial review.

MonkeyPuzzler Sun 28-Dec-14 18:20:17

Thanks for all the advice. MosthighlyFlavouredLady I have the minimum age in writing but not the waiting time so will and ask for that and explanation in writing. Dipankrispaneven thanks I will follow that advice too. I think I need to become much more pushy.

MostHighlyFlavouredLady Sun 28-Dec-14 18:44:28

You can ask them, in writing for the medical reason that they are refusing diagnosis until a certain age and whether they have balanced this against the risk of being unable to access critical early intervention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now