Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

TS child arguing. Help! ADHD?

(6 Posts)
mrsbaffled Mon 22-Dec-14 21:15:35

I am getting to the end of my tether with DS2(nearly 7). He has Tourettes (dx at 5, but tics are fairly quiet at the moment), but his behaviour is just appalling at the moment. Today we had a nice day trip planned, but had to turn around and come home because he was having a massive strop in the car and making it dangerous to drive. (It has been like this a lot recently)

I can't even remember why it started, but DH and I ended up yelling at him because he just would not stop talking (loud rude talking with attitude), hitting his brother in the back seat, kicking me in the front and making deliberate shouty noises. We ended up pulling over and yelling at him for his insolence then going home, leaving us all in tears.

He just can't stop talking when asked as he feels like we have offended him, and can't read that our voices are getting crosser.....or just doesn't care.

I know ADHD is often comorbid with TS. Does this sound ADHD-y? What can we do to stop this behaviour? It is making me very sad, and it is affecting his self esteem because we have to discipline him for bad behaviour. He is so stubborn.

Help! I am frightened he will behave like this again in the car on Christmas Day...we have already told him we can't visit relatives if he does...which means no presents.

PolterGoose Mon 22-Dec-14 21:39:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsbaffled Mon 22-Dec-14 22:01:57

Yes! will go in the back, but he won't like it !

ChampagneAndCrisps Tue 23-Dec-14 07:01:10

I think you really need to ask someone in real life. Tourettes is so complex, and it's not easy for anyone to judge from your description. We could easily send you down the wrong track.
Rage is also common in Tourettes, and they can be so irrational. My DS holds such a lot in, and then gets really upset over apparently nothing. My DD has exhibited frightening rage in the past, but has also recently been started on Ritalin for ADD. It has made a huge difference to her impulsivity and her behaviour.
I'm sorry - clearly I have no answers for you - I just wanted to try and say no one here can tell you what you need to know.
I second being kind to yourself and your child - but try and get some answers in real life too.

OneInEight Tue 23-Dec-14 07:54:04

Mine have AS rather than TS but some of the problems are similar. We do the one adult + one child in the back thing which works much better for us and reduces a lot of the fighting. We try (although do not always succeed) to avoid shouting at them as it tends to escalate the situation which is the reverse of what we want. We also try and use a "face-saving" clause in demands e.g. let them choose a time to go out (within reason) rather than a we are going now kind of thing. For ds2 a lot of the challenging behaviour in the car can be because he is anxious about the destination so it helps to give him lots of advance preparation and for us to be aware of this.

mrsbaffled Tue 23-Dec-14 08:43:04

Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now