Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Preparing for EHCP panel, what should I have?

(8 Posts)
Madcatgirl Mon 22-Dec-14 20:50:08

I go to panel on 6th jan., what should I bring with me? How detailed notes? Requests for help? Can I request a certain high school for DS1 in a couple of years to be on it?

reader108 Mon 22-Dec-14 21:02:18

Just to want to wish you loads of luck. We go 12th January not looking forward to it. Know you can prepare opening and closing statement try and get them to see your child as an individual not a bunch of reports!

Madcatgirl Tue 23-Dec-14 08:54:29

Thanks, good luck to you too.

Madcatgirl Tue 06-Jan-15 14:56:30

No statement yet, possibly next Spring though. Next step is CLASS, MAAT and something else which the is written down. I was given the nod towards which high schools to look at.

So although not exactly what we wanted, it's a step further down the road.

senvet Tue 06-Jan-15 15:20:34

I'm not really used to this stage, but make sure that anything that could possibly be education IS in the education section (see IPSEA website), and not under health or social.

Don't let them get away with thinking education is just what happens in the school day, and is just school subjects.

If your child has difficulties that reflect more in the playground and unstructured times like lunch time or home time, then they need to analyse what causes those difficulties and provide a programme of education to help. If your dc needs help to learn body language, or to stay in a calm-alert state to learn, then it is SEN - special, because mainstream kids (I like to call them bog-standard kids) don't happen to need it.

And for each difficulty identified, look for TWO things
1) what can be done to work around the difficulty, eg for dyspraxia, maybe pencil grips, writing slopes, and even someone to write down your dc's ideas
2) what can be done to reduce the impact of the difficulty for the future, eg, for dyspraxia, exercises to strengthen the fingers, so that the process of writing is less effortful.

I see lots of Statements of SEN which may sort one of the two, but not both.

Oh and when it is your turn to speak, prepare and start with a really strong opening statement that sums up what you want. If you would like some examples for different types of SEN, post again

Good Luck

Madcatgirl Tue 06-Jan-15 17:03:28

Thanks, I won't see the panel now before next spring, so I'll be back again. Next is CAF I think.

senvet Tue 06-Jan-15 18:01:12

If you want a statement of SEN then apply for one. If you think you need one, you are probably right. If they decide not to give it, you can appeal.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

If you are in ASD/Asperger's territory, then NAS have trained education volunteers who will help you with it. 0808 800 4104.

For other disabilities, IPSEA have the same system.

Oh and with high school a couple of years away, I would look at this soon, as some LAs really drag it out. You have to name the school the child is going to at the time of the statement, although the tribunal will say 'from September X school' if the transition is upcoming.

Hope this helps

senvet Wed 07-Jan-15 19:11:18

oops. The statement has been replaced by an EHC Plan
Same thing in essence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now