Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

MRI scan?

(6 Posts)
Icantfindaname Thu 18-Dec-14 16:30:09

We had an appointment with the CDT this morning and DD is to be referred for an MRI scan.

The possibility of CMV has also been mentioned as I was very ill late in pregnancy so DD will also have a blood test.

Essentially DD has no real diagnosis. She has co-ordination difficulties and Speech difficulties but the OT she is seen by does not feel that these can adequately explain why she has the problems that she has at school.

Her genetic tests have come back clear.
DD is just 6 by the way.

Feel a bit wobbly today and DH is away. Wondered if anyone has any experience of this and what it could show if anything.

Thanks

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 18-Dec-14 16:33:30

An MRI is fairly standard test when looking for a reason for issues.

DD had one which was totally clear despite her serious issues.

It's to see if a structural issue in brain..ie a development problem could explain issues.

I wouldn't worry about it excessively smile

Icantfindaname Thu 18-Dec-14 16:41:37

Thanks. At what point do they just say there is no reason?
I am not sure if I want to find a reason or not confused

I think at the moment they are trying to work out if there are cognitive issues. They have also asked for a full Ed Psych report to see where her IQ is at.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:46:11

I think it varies
They looked hard with DD and then just suddenly gave up. So she is a mystery.

It's a trying time for you thanks

Bilberry Fri 19-Dec-14 09:10:54

We are waiting for an MRI for a similar reason to you. Ds has speech delay (he is at a language unit) and has low tone but his OT is still trying to work him out as she doesn't think low tone is the only reason for his difficulties. His genetics also came back clear.

I got the impression from the neurologist that the MRI will probably be the last diagnostic test they will try. Basically genetics and MRI are pretty non-invasive and pick up a wide range of issues. After this tests get more invasive and much more of a 'stab in the dark' so not considered unless they have a reason to suspect something. She mentioned the possibility of 'migratory disease' (I think that is what she called it) where some cells move to the wrong part of the brain when it is developing.

I know what you mean about feeling wobbly and not sure if you want a reason but I think having a reason may helps get ds the support he needs. They already seemed to take it a bit more seriously when I said he had been referred for an MRI!

Icantfindaname Fri 19-Dec-14 17:07:56

Thanks bilberry. Not sure when our date will come through.

My dd also has low tone and hyper mobility. She has all sorts to be fair.

Let me know how you get in will you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now